Redshirt-junior guard Amy Scullion (right) looks for an open teammate during a game against Penn State Feb. 9 at the Schottenstein Center. OSU won, 74-54. Credit: Ritika Shah / Asst. photo editor

Redshirt-junior guard Amy Scullion (right) looks for an open teammate during a game against Penn State Feb. 9 at the Schottenstein Center. OSU won, 74-54.
Credit: Ritika Shah / Asst. photo editor

Ohio State women’s basketball redshirt-junior guard Amy Scullion is calling an end to her career on the court after the conclusion of the season.

Scullion, who has started all but one game thus far this season, joined seniors centers Ashley Adams and Darryce Moore, forward Martina Ellerbe and redshirt-senior center Aleksandra Dobranic in the pregame Senior Day honors before taking the floor at the Schottenstein Center one final time in a win over Northwestern Sunday.

Although she redshirted her first year in Columbus because of a torn ACL and thus has one remaining year of eligibility, Scullion made the decision to end her basketball career in order to attend medical school.

“It was obviously a really tough decision,” Scullion said Feb. 18. “I think for my career and my goals, the best thing right now is for me to hang up my basketball shoes.”

The decision was made after a conversation with her parents and with coach Kevin McGuff, who said he supports Scullion’s decision.

“Obviously she is an extremely bright young woman with an amazing future ahead,” McGuff said Sunday. “I think it is a great decision. She will be very successful.”

Scullion was recruited and signed by former OSU coach Jim Foster, who was fired after the 2012-13 season “without cause,” but Scullion had all positive things to say about McGuff and his current staff.

“I really enjoy playing for coach McGuff and I think he is moving the program in a great direction,” Scullion said. “It is hard to not be a part of that (moving forward).”

In her final home game, Scullion pulled down eight rebounds, and dished out a career-high three assists to go along with two points as the Buckeyes defeated the Wildcats, 71-62.

Scullion is currently in the process of applying to medical schools and said that if she is accepted, she would like to stay at OSU.

“I am still trying to get in here (OSU),” Scullion said. “Obviously I would love to stay here.”

Scullion said she is also looking into the University of Colorado and Wake Forest University for medical school.

Scullion and the Buckeyes are set to conclude their regular season with road games against Iowa Thursday and Minnesota Sunday before traveling to Indianapolis for the Big Ten Tournament.