Ohio State’s Newark campus set to close through Wednesday, no word on Columbus

February 5, 2014

young.1693@osu.edu
Students walk across a snowy Oval Feb. 4. Classes were canceled at OSU’s main and branch campuses Jan. 6, 7 and 28 because of cold weather. OSU officials later announced professors would have the option of making up  missed classes. Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

Students walk across a snowy Oval Feb. 4. Classes were canceled at OSU’s main and branch campuses Jan. 6, 7 and 28 because of cold weather. OSU officials later announced professors would have the option of making up missed classes.
Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

One Ohio State campus closed its classroom doors for the fourth time Wednesday.

OSU’s Newark campus closed at 9 p.m. Tuesday and is set to remain closed through Wednesday because of weather conditions. Wednesday’s forecast predicted a high of 33 degrees and a low of 8 as of Tuesday evening, according to the Weather Channel.

Temperatures are set to fall as low as 27 Tuesday night in Newark and an inch of snow is expected, according to The Weather Channel. Wednesday’s forecast predicted a high of 33 degrees and a low of 8 as of Tuesday evening.

As of Tuesday evening, there was a winter storm warning in effect for the area, including Newark and Columbus, that was set to last until Wednesday morning, with 2 to 6 inches of snow and sleet accumulation expected.

The decision of whether to cancel classes at OSU’s Columbus campus was set to be made Wednesday morning after weather conditions are evaluated, according to the OSU Emergency Management Twitter account, @OSU_EMFP.

Wednesday’s forecast predicted temperatures up to 33 and as low as 10 in Columbus, with 4 to 6 inches of snow expected overnight as of Tuesday evening.

Classes were canceled at OSU’s main and branch campuses Jan. 6, 7 and 28 because of cold weather. Temperatures fell to minus 14 degrees Jan. 28 and as low as minus 7 Jan. 6 and 7.

Those cancellations could lead to makeup days – Executive Vice President and Provost Joseph Steinmetz sent an email to faculty and students Jan. 29 announcing professors would have the option of making up missed classes.

“The university is making available to instructors the option of using Tuesday, April 22, technically the reading day before finals, as a make-up day,” Steinmetz said in the email. “Students whose instructors want to take advantage of that make-up day should plan to meet at their regular class time in their usual classroom on April 22.”

Faculty members who administer seven-week courses have the option of making up missed sessions on Saturdays — Feb. 8 and 15.

Steinmetz asked students to “make every attempt to attend if their instructor chooses to offer a make-up class,” according to the email, but said faculty members should “remain flexible, given other commitments students may have made.”

Students will not be penalized for missing these classes, according to the email.

1. Anonymous says:

It was stupid and dangerous for campus to be open today. Shame on OSU for thinking of money, etc. instead of student/faculty/staff safety.

2. Anonymous says:

Staying open in a level 2 snow emergency (when only necessary travel is sanctioned) was unethical and ridiculous. OSU should be ashamed of itself. No class (or opportunity to not lose money) is worth student safety.

Terrible job clearing the parking lots, roads, and sidewalks, by the way.