Actress Ellen Page, who announced Feb. 14 she was gay in a speech given at THRIVE in Las Vegas. Credit: Courtesy of MCT

Actress Ellen Page, who announced Feb. 14 she was gay in a speech given at THRIVE in Las Vegas.
Credit: Courtesy of MCT

This is part of a weekly series called “Pop Opinions” where The Lantern offers its take on the week’s pop culture news.

Ellen Page Is Gay

Actress Ellen Page, known for her lead role in “Juno,” announced Friday at the Human Rights Campaign’s Time to THRIVE event that she is gay. Time to THRIVE was a conference held in Las Vegas to promote issues of the gay community.

“I’m here today because I am gay. And because … maybe I can make a difference,” Page told the crowd.

People being honest about themselves is always a good thing. I don’t have a snarky comment about that.

Wittle Wentz

“Pete Wentz is having a baby!” I announced to my boyfriend at lunch.

I was focused on my iPhone (typical) and he was focused on food (so typical).

“Who’s that again?” he asked.

I stared at him in disbelief as he stared at me with a mouth full of pasta. It was then that I remembered the wise words of my roommate, “Most people outgrew their sixth-grade punk phase, Sallee.”

If you outgrew your skinny jeans and eyeliner, let me refresh your memory. Pete Wentz is the bassist of (recently reunited) rock band Fall Out Boy — “Sugar We’re Goin’ Down” and “Thnks fr th Mmrs” ring any head-banging bells?

His baby mama is girlfriend and model Meagan Camper. All I know about her is that her eyebrows are intense and it scares me.

Wentz announced the big news Monday via Instagram, as all big news should be. He already has a 5-year-old son, Bronx, with ex-wife Ashlee Simpson.

I am hoping the new Wittle Wentz will have a creative name too, like Brooklyn or Manhattan. Maybe even Queens?

Cee Lo Leaves “Voice”

Cee Lo Green announced on “Ellen” (DeGeneres, not Page) Wednesday that he will not be returning to NBC’s “The Voice” after his hiatus this season.

I know what you’re thinking: Who still watches “The Voice?”

Answer: My mother.

My mother loves Cee Lo. Many women watch “The Voice” to stare at the “Sexiest Man Alive,” Adam Levine. My mother watches for Cee Lo and his outrageous outfits and elegant cat, Purrfect.

“The Voice” might drop to zero viewers now but my mother has nothing to worry about. Cee Lo says he is working with NBC on “several new co-ventures including a new music show.” Good, ‘cause we didn’t have enough of those already.

Miley’s Bangin’ (and Not So Bangin’) Wardrobe

Miley Cyrus’ Bangerz Tour kicked off in Vancouver on Valentine’s Day.

If there’s one thing the Internet preys over, it’s Miley’s fashion. And they have been feasting on photos of her concert costumes.

I actually tend to like Miley’s style. I like the short hair. I am a huge red lipstick fan. Girl shares my love of leather (jackets) too. She has a Jessica Rabbit-inspired red dress she wears during the concert that I would slay for. There’s also a bedazzled oversized shirt with her face on it, which at first is a little weird, but let’s be honest — if I was famous enough to get away with it, I so would. A marijuana leaf printed leotard though? A leotard that’s cut so high up that I get killer wedgies just looking at it? No thank you.

OMG IDC LOL

News broke Tuesday that Adam Brody (“The O.C.”) and Leighton Meester (“Gossip Girl”) secretly got married. I was always listening to Fall Out Boy when the girls that sat in front of me in high school algebra discussed those shows, so this has no significance to me.