Opinion: John Mount’s service made ‘college life unforgettable’

February 23, 2014

theodore.13@osu.edu
Haley de Leon (left) and Michele Theodore (right), members of Mount Leadership Society, pose for a picture with John Mount at an event for the organization April 7.

Haley de Leon (left) and Michele Theodore (right), members of Mount Leadership Society, pose for a picture with John Mount at an event for the organization April 7. Courtesy of Michele Theodore.

I watched endless tweets from my friends pour in Thursday, each one trying to put into 140 characters the seemingly impossible. How do you thank a person for shaping your college career in 140 short characters? How do you express the impact of a life in something as insignificant as a tweet?

But wrapped up in all these tweets were simple words: legacy, incredible, honor, service — and sadly, goodbye.

This weekend my friends and I said goodbye to John Mount, the man who helped start our scholars group and the man who always met us with a smile on his face.

Mount Leadership Society — named after his late wife Ruth — made me a better person. I met people who pushed me to do more and volunteered right beside them for two years and through my time, I also got the chance to meet John Mount.

John Mount, who always had a sparkle in his eye and who always held my hand as he asked me how things were going at Ohio State. John Mount, who in his 95 years changed hundreds of lives — beyond even the scope of my scholars group — and loved the university more than anyone I’ve ever met because he saw promise in students.

He touched many lives and while many of us only got the opportunity to meet John Mount a few times, he was instrumental in bringing us together and he showed me what one person can do.

Watching those tweets come in, I realized one person can make a difference.

So here, in a few more than 140 characters, is a thank you to John Mount. Thank you for helping make my college life unforgettable and thank you for showing me what it means to be passionate. Thank you for just being you.

1. Carol Halliday says:

I am a niece of John Mount(Uncle Jack) and it touches my heart to know how much the students loved him. I attended The OSU in the late 60′s and early 70′s and he was my inspiration along with aunt Ruth. They encouraged me to always do my best. No words can tell you how much his family will miss him. It is a wonderful tribute that the Mount scholars will carry on in his name.

2. Kate Sheskey says:

Michele Theodore, this is beautifully written goodbye, perhaps the most touching I have read in these days since John Mount’s passing. (I, too, am John Mount’s niece, and your words brought tears to my eyes.)

Thank you!