Reports: Ohio State quarterback Braxton Miller to have shoulder surgery

February 21, 2014

seger.25@osu.edu
Junior quarterback Braxton Miller (5) runs away from a Clemson defender during the 2014 Discover Orange Bowl Jan. 3 at Sun Life Stadium. OSU lost, 40-35. Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

Junior quarterback Braxton Miller (5) runs away from a Clemson defender during the 2014 Discover Orange Bowl Jan. 3 at Sun Life Stadium. OSU lost, 40-35.
Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

Two days after receiving his second Silver Football as the Big Ten’s Most Valuable Player, Ohio State junior quarterback Braxton Miller is set to have surgery on his throwing shoulder, according to media reports.

The procedure is minor and is for an injury he sustained during OSU’s 40-35 loss to Clemson Jan. 3 in the 2014 Discover Orange Bowl.

Set for Friday, the surgery should not greatly affect Miller’s status for spring practice, according to the reports.

An OSU spokesman did not immediately return The Lantern’s request for comment Thursday evening.

When asked about his shoulder after the Orange Bowl loss, Miller said he thought his injury only affected his ability to run the ball against the Tigers.

“Throwing-wise, it was cool. I don’t know what happened,” Miller said in the locker room after the game. “I landed on my elbow, but it shot up right through my shoulder. It was hurting real bad.”

The injury was not the first for Miller in 2013.

Miller completed 162 passes for 2,094 yards and 24 touchdowns while throwing seven interceptions in 2013, despite missing nearly three games for a sprained MCL in his right knee suffered in the Buckeyes’ 42-7 victory against San Diego State Sept. 7. Miller suffered the injury in the first quarter against the Aztecs.

The Buckeye signal caller rushed for 1,068 yards and 12 scores on 171 carries this past season, down from his team-leading 227 carries and 1,271 yards in 2012.

Miller and the Buckeyes are set to start their 2014 campaign Aug. 30 against Navy at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore.

1. David Goldberger says:

The news of B. Miller’s impending surgery raises some important questions. Has anyone asked how long Miller was left in the game after he was injured? Did subsequent hits make the injury worse? Is there any reason to believe that the coaches kept him in the game because they were more concerned about the outcome of the game than about his safety?