Some students miffed classes at Ohio State Columbus campus went on despite snow

February 5, 2014

bendtsen.1@osu.edu
Candi Griffin, Columbus resident, shovels snow from underneath Amanda Cheek, Columbus resident’s, car Feb. 5 at South 18th Street.<br />Credit: Jonathan McAllister / Lantern photographer

Candi Griffin, Columbus resident, shovels snow from underneath Amanda Cheek, Columbus resident’s, car Feb. 5 at South 18th Street.
Credit: Jonathan McAllister / Lantern photographer

Despite seeing the largest snowfall of the winter so far, classes went on at Ohio State’s main campus Wednesday, something that didn’t sit well with some students.

“Class should have been canceled because I almost slipped like 10 times while coming to class,” said Shannon Gardner, a second-year in psychology. “This morning, I honestly felt like it was dangerous to walk.”

Undergraduate Student Government President Taylor Stepp, a fourth-year in public affairs, said he was disappointed the university stayed open.

“Even High Street was a mess, and the side streets were just terrible, and I think that’s very, very dangerous, especially when some of the snow had iced over,” Stepp said. “So I was very unhappy to see that we still were open. My inherent concern isn’t necessarily with the people walking, though there’s a danger in that too, but with everyone who had to drive.”

In an email Wednesday afternoon, Lindsay Komlanc, OSU spokeswoman for Administration and Planning, said the university had received two calls about people who had slipped and fell on campus. One garnered an emergency medical service response, but Komlanc said the information about the call didn’t show whether the person was transported.

Some professors took matters into their own hands, choosing to cancel their classes, and some students gave themselves a “snow day.”

“I didn’t go to class anyways,” said Bobby Jubak, a fourth-year in health information management. “I just had one class this morning and my teacher said, ‘If you don’t want to come, don’t come.’”

Jubak said the weather was severe enough to warrant OSU to close and said he stayed up until 3 a.m. the night before to help others dig out snow from around their cars.

Though many classes went on as planned, the university encouraged leniency in taking attendance.

OSU’s Emergency Management office released a statement Wednesday morning encouraging supervisors and faculty “to use flexibility for those who cannot make it to campus due to weather conditions.”

There were also instances of “minor property damage crashes” involving cars Wednesday, Komlanc said. She added that the number of crashes that happened Wednesday was not yet available as of Wednesday evening because the “information won’t be finalized until the reports are officially logged into the system.”

About 6.9 inches of snow and sleet fell in Columbus Tuesday night, according to the National Weather Service, along with a layer of freezing rain early Wednesday morning.

The weather left a good deal of work for OSU crews, who began plowing and treating campus roads and sidewalks Tuesday night, Komlanc said. At about 7 a.m. Wednesday, the focus switched to salting roadways and sidewalks around campus. Crews remained working to salt and remove ice at about 4:20 p.m., Komlanc said, and would continue “as long as necessary.”

OSU’s Newark campus was the only branch campus to witness a full closure Wednesday, although Wooster and Lima campuses canceled morning classes.

OSU’s main campus has canceled classes three days in 2014. Executive Vice President and Provost Joseph Steinmetz sent an email Jan. 29 giving professors permission to use the day before exams, known as reading day, to make up classes or to use Feb. 8 and 15, both Saturdays, for seven-week classes.

1. RC says:

Hi Editor, I don’t think miffed is the correct word in the title. I think you meant missed. If you did mean miffed then I think it is miss used.

2. AR says:

Welcome to the real world. Sometimes you need to meet your obligations regardless of the weather or if there is something else you would like to do.

3. This is Wrong says:

Students can miss classes, especially when their professors say “come or don’t come”. Staff have to use vacation time. Not all staff had vacation time to use to stay out of that weather yesterday. And that is what we would have had to use if our supervisors used “flexibility for those who cannot make it to campus due to weather conditions”. Some of us don’t have the vacation time. This was a Level 2 WEATHER EMERGENCY in the county of FRANKLIN. Many businesses (including government offices) were closed. It was unconscionable and dangerous for OSU to keep the campus open.

4. WA says:

“miffed” doesn’t even cut it

5. TommyS says:

Most of the rest of America stayed open for business. Closing for three days in one month for “bad weather” is enough!

6. Cypher008 says:

What a bunch of WHIPS. Both Minnesota and Wisconsin had classes and weather was even worse.

7. staffO says:

We had a level 2 snow emergency, all schools including Columbus State, Franklin and Capital were closed including many county offices yet OSU was open. This would have been okay if folks could have safely driven to campus. Numerous accidents and stuck vehicles were everywhere. Then, students, faculty and staff were faced with unplowed walkways and parking lots. WOW, what a stellar job CAMPUSPARC is doing. If they needed more time to clear these area that is understandable, then close the university. This was very inconsiderate of the university to expect students and employees to park in areas that were unplowed only to get stuck. Wise up OSU, its not always about money, its about the students!!

8. you are a grown up says:

“I almost slipped 10 times” wow… we should have closed lol. As grown ups you make a decision… you go or don’t go.

we are a generation of weak babies who can’t even walk to class. If you’re cars stuck, take the COTA or walk, if you’re to far to walk you decide to go or not… regardless if classes were cancled professors will have the same amount of work to cover. If you don’t like it transfer to Florida. YOURE IN OHIO get over it…

9. Anonymous says:

Snow on the roads isn’t exactly a matter of wimpiness. It’s about safety. I cancelled my 8 am class because I didn’t want any of my students getting into a car accident. It was really that simple. My class isn’t worth an injury or worse.

Columbus doesn’t do a great job of removing snow, and most other area universities were closed or delayed–as were businesses. If all OSU students walked to class, or if Columbus were more efficient at clearing roads, then it would be a different story. But OSU has a large commuter population.

Really, it’s this attitude here–”you’re a wimp if you take precautions!”–is why we have so many car accidents in this kind of weather. People believe themselves to be invincible, and they don’t have a healthy respect for nature.

It was unethical and arrogant for OSU to remain open.

10. anon says:

I love the dichotomy that class wasn’t cancelled but we enforce a smoking ban. Are you a nanny or aren’t you, OSU?

11. Anon lecturer says:

The implication that classes would go on as scheduled was ridiculous. I’ve spent many hours responding to anxious students who missed class for very valid reasons, including one who was in very serious car accident. Holding classes in this case was more disruptive than cancelling, and I hope the administration now realizes this.

12. Anonymous says:

That Bob Jubak kid seems like a real winner…

13. Anonymous says:

just kidding ^^^