Adding a cuff to your skinnies can transform your outfit into an effortlessly cool look. Credit: Courtesy of MCT

Adding a cuff to your skinnies can transform your outfit into an effortlessly cool look.
Credit: Courtesy of MCT

The temperatures are finally going up, degree by degree (knock on wood). Gone are the days in which you need to bundle up with winter accessories that don’t match any other part of your outfit. Instead, you can strategically stay coatless, keep your outfit visible and rack up some major street style points that will leave you the envy of everyone you pass on your way to class. Keep reading for more ways to up your street style game.

Cuff ‘em high

Whether it’s your sleeves or your jeans, adding a cuff or two can completely change your look. Cuffing your skinnies twice can show off your booties if it’s not quite warm enough to get rid of them yet, or give your summer deck shoes an even preppier feel when the sun shines continuously. If you’d rather cuff your sleeves, the options are virtually endless — cuff your short sleeves for a garage-rock vibe or roll up the long sleeves of a sheer blouse for an effortlessly cool look.

Match everything

Matching from head to toe is quickly becoming a hot trend, so get in while it lasts. The easiest way to ease into this style is to start with all black — it’s a classic color that looks striking when it makes up an entire outfit. It’s also a good idea to try using differently-textured pieces when creating your outfit. That way, it won’t look like you’re wearing one never-ending bodysuit. If you’re feeling extra daring, make your outfit one big pop of color, but break it up with cropped tops (skin keeps the outfit from being too monotonous) and neutral or metallic accessories.

Keep the tartan

Just because you’re getting rid of your thick plaid flannel shirts doesn’t mean you have to completely kick the tartan out of your life until the fall. This is the perfect opportunity to put your thrifting skills to the test — find some cheap plaid button-up shirts, then craft them into the crop tops of your dreams. This will definitely evoke a punk vibe. So if you’re wanting something that’s more toned down, it might be a better option to invest in ready-made cropped pieces that are in this popular pattern. Pairing a cropped tartan T-shirt with a black pencil skirt adds some personality to an otherwise classy outfit.

Just have fun

Though it’s great to take fashion and your personal style seriously, spring and summer are the perfect seasons to really let loose and experiment with your look. Now that seasonal affective disorder is out of your system, you should have the extra energy it takes to really come up with some amazing ensembles. Drape a cross-body chain on under a loose cropped tank to add some eclectic glam to an outfit. Go for the ultimate pinup look by tying your hair up with red or blue scarves — you’ll stay cool and look hot. You can even use Oval Beach to your advantage by throwing on a sheer blouse over your bathing suit in contrasting colors for a flirty look without showing too much skin.

So pull out those warmer-weather clothes from the back of your closet that you thought you’d never see again, and get to creating some awesome outfits that are begging to be photographed for a street style blog.