Designer Vivienne WEstwood debuts here one minte campaign video higlihgting 'the waste of water' within the meat industry at Tidbits in London March 18. Credit: Courtesy of MCT

Designer Vivienne Westwood debuts here one-minute campaign video highlighting ‘the waste of water’ within the meat industry at Tidbits in London March 18.
Credit: Courtesy of MCT

What I find myself wishing more than anything is that I could afford runway looks from my favorite designers. Sure, I love putting together outfits inspired by these luxurious pieces that are so embarrassingly out of my price range, but I don’t think anything could ever replace actually sliding into a Dolce & Gabbana baroque-inspired bodysuit or toting around a Burberry Warrior handbag (which is from 2008, and I’m still drooling over it six years later). Thankfully, it just got a little bit easier to put some of that designer flair right into my closet without breaking the bank too much. Plenty of stores have been taking a page out of Target’s book and collaborating with high-end designers to offer more affordable pieces to the masses. Keep reading for some of the launches I’m most excited to see.

Peter Som for Kohl’s

This light, summery collection is set to debut in just a few short weeks on April 10 and will feature pieces well within a college student’s budget — nothing is slated to be more than $90. The items featured are a vacationer’s dream, with silky lounge pants and nautical stripes that are inspired by summer hotspot, St. Barths. If you’re planning on traveling this summer, stock up on Som’s pieces for an incredibly worldly, luxurious feel. With clothing that is otherwise $1,000 or more per piece, jumping on these cheap but signature pieces before they’re gone is a must.

Sophia Webster for J. Crew

This shoe collection is sure to be just as whimsical as Webster’s own, but at a much lower cost. If you love adding bold accent pieces, these are the collections you’ll want to check out, which are slated for release in spring and then again in fall later this year. The designer’s collaboration with the store for the spring/summer fashion season is full of bright prints and colors perfect for the approaching warmer temperatures, while the fall collection will have more muted and metallic colors to reflect the season. While the pricing for these shoes is still unreleased, these reworked footwear pieces are sure to be much more affordable than the designer’s own, which often run upward of $500. If you want to freshen your wardrobe one accessory at a time, this is the collaboration for you.

Vivienne Westwood for ASOS 

This high-end designer launched the Ethical Africa collection for online retailer ASOS earlier this year, and while only a few select bag styles are still available, there are plenty of other accessories from Westwood to be found in the shop. From a designer who bases most of her influences in punk fashion, comes shoes and accessories with an interesting flair that are still wearable in everyday life. Though a single belt from the designer’s own collection can cost more than $1,000, the quality pieces found online can be as low as one-tenth of that price. This fashion collaboration is an excellent way to add a well-known name to your closet without spending your life savings.

If you’re looking for some splurge-worthy items that won’t put you out too much until your next paycheck, it might be smart to wait until these collections are released. Not only do you get to add some designer duds to your closet, but you can also be sure you’re getting items of higher quality that’ll last you much longer than anything you’d get from Forever 21 or similar stores.