Columbus’ Dude Locker to host Worst Kept Secret Fest

April 17, 2014

dickey.88@osu.edu
A set from Worst Kept Secret Fest IV. Worst Kept Secret Fest V is set to take place April 18-19 at the Dude Locker in Columbus. Credit: Courtesy of Anita Herald Media

A set from Worst Kept Secret Fest IV. Worst Kept Secret Fest V is set to take place April 18-19 at the Dude Locker in Columbus.
Credit: Courtesy of Anita Herald Media

From the sidewalk of East Hudson Street, the faint sounds of electric guitar ballads and the occasional hammering drum solo can be heard over the noisy hum of I-71. Here lies local music safe haven, the Dude Locker — a practice space and intimate concert venue primarily aimed toward musicians who are actively a part of the Columbus music scene. This “garage band style” venue is set to open its gates Friday at 6 p.m., for the masses to experience local independent artists and musicians uniting into what is known as Worst Kept Secret Fest.

Worst Kept Secret Fest V, the fifth of a twice a year event, is set to host more than 20 bands, 10 artists and three food trucks over a two-day period.

“It’s always inclusive. We don’t restrict any genres or ages,” said technical director for Worst Kept Secret Fest, Joshua Herald.

The best way to describe the weekend’s atmosphere, Herald said, is to think of Worst Kept Secret Fest as a “house show, meets art gallery, meets barbecue.”

Co-founders Tim Sistrunk’s and Geoff Spall’s motivation for starting Worst Kept Secret Fest in summer 2012 began with a drive to showcase local artists, and it is an ideal that has stuck with their team as they prepare for this year’s fifth festival. Sistrunk and Spall, both active participants in the local music scene, said they want to use Worst Kept Secret Fest as a way to provide a community for Columbus artists, in hopes the work shown throughout the weekend will cease existing as just a “secret.”

“I think there is an issue in the Columbus scene about how you get certain opportunities as an artist or musician,” Spall said. “Accessibility would be why we call it Worst Kept Secret Fest.”

Sistrunk said the Worst Kept Secret Fest is largely about nurturing artists.

“The scene is taking advantage of the musician and profiting from them,” Sistrunk said. “We are not interested in that, we want to give the artist, the performer, and anybody else a platform to succeed and then put that platform under a microscope.”

Pat Chase, the street team coordinator for the event, explained that community is a major part of the festival.

“We are not interested in the scene, we are interested in a community,” Chase said. “A scene is something where people can look in from the outside, a community is something where you can step in and sign up.”

Sistrunk described this concept as a way of “kicking the scene in the teeth” and it has been the biggest motivator for Sistrunk and Spall since the beginning.

Worst Kept Secret Fest is expecting to accept donations for the Mid-Ohio Foodbank throughout the weekend. Columbus artist Wil Wong Yee is set to paint a portrait of the festival live as it’s going on and plans to raffle off his live painting inside the art gallery. Worst Kept Secret Fest will also host a tarot card reader.

Sistrunk said he expects to see between 500-1,000 people attend Worst Kept Secret Fest V, topping the previous April’s most attended fest to date.

“It’s a great party,” Sistrunk said.

1. glen says:

Typically operating through Puppets–including puppets in the judiciary–the right wing has for decades been committing crimes and trying to classify them to cover them up, a move explicitly forbidden by the Code of Federal Regulations. The right has accomplished its political objectives by presenting a fraction of the evidence to judicial officials who, having seen the pattern dozens of times before, could not help but realize that they were being presented with incomplete and inaccurate information.
    If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth, right? the Democrats’ great accomplishment is producing the political equivalent of a Rodney King video, clearly demonstrating the lies of the right, the right Hilary Clinton correctly identified as a vast conspiracy. Confirm by examining Central District of California Cases, 01-4340, 03-9097, 08-5515, 10-5193, US Tax Court 12000-07L –though I think you want to view my US Tax Court Appeal to the 9th Circuit for a good account of their day to day assaults, a few month time slice indicative of a decade of assault, and 9th Circuit case 11-56043.

2. glen says:

With either the willfully blind approval or the willful ignorance of the judiciary the right has killed & stolen several of my pets and routinely shoot energy weaponry at me and my pets. Recent harm to animals include: two kittens from a pregnant stray i took in were killed a few days ago. The remaining two, just 3 weeks old, shake their head as government operatives shoot them with energy weaponry. They shot the eye out or removed the eye of a large really good natured stray at the port, hobbled another cat at the port, shooting it with energy weaponry, and routinely kill and leave dead animals in my path. A few years ago one of them threatened, prophetic, ‘we’ll just kill a cat every so often’, in so many words. This has continued despite my calls to the police, the FBI, Congress, and my petitions in court. In the usual case, it appears that the right goes to a judicial crony for a ruling permitting them to harm animals to retaliate against me for my free speech. There’s no serious argument but that they interfered with my personal life and economic options for 3 decades, so their solution to my noting it is to kill animals. Makes perfect sense right? It does if you’re a sociopathic criminal, criminally stupid, and hawkish. Invariably their lies are exposed and the wrongfulness of the harm is clear to everyone, though not until the animals have been maimed or killed. There is really only one solution, and that’s to disempower them politically.