Junior forward Ryan Dzingel (18) attempts to win a faceoff during a game against Michigan March 2 at Nationwide Arena. OSU lost, 4-3. Credit: Ben Jackson / For The Lantern

Junior forward Ryan Dzingel (18) attempts to win a faceoff during a game against Michigan March 2 at Nationwide Arena. OSU lost, 4-3.
Credit: Ben Jackson / For The Lantern

The Big Ten men’s hockey leading scorer is no longer going to wreak havoc on opposing college defenders.

Ohio State junior forward Ryan Dzingel announced his intentions to forgo his senior season after signing an entry-level contract with the NHL’s Ottawa Senators.

“It was a very difficult decision leaving my friends and the program I love. I felt like it was the right choice for me moving forward with my career, even though Ohio State is heading in the right direction,” Dzingel said in a press release. “Thank you again to my teammates, coaches and fans. I will miss it.”

Dzingel’s deal is for two years, and he is also set to sign an amateur tryout agreement. Doing so means he is set to be assigned to the team’s American Hockey League affiliate — the Binghamton Senators — for the rest of the season.

Dzingel finished his junior year at OSU as the Big Ten’s leader in goals (22) and points (46), and was named to the All-Big Ten team in addition to being a finalist for this year’s Hobey Baker Award, given to the nation’s top college player.

First-year OSU coach Steve Rohlik said the team is looking forward to seeing Dzingel compete at the professional level.

“We are very proud of Ryan and all he has accomplished at Ohio State,” Rohlik said in the release. “We are excited for his new journey and wish him all the best.”

Dzingel finished at or tied for the team lead in points at OSU in each of his three seasons as a Buckeye, compiling a total of 108 points in 110 games.

The Wheaton, Ill., native was drafted by Ottawa in seventh round of the 2011 NHL Draft. The Senators’ next game is scheduled for Friday against the Rochester Americans.

Dzingel did not immediately respond to The Lantern’s request for comment Wednesday.