Opinion: Selfies reach presidential level upon Biden’s presence on Instagram

April 17, 2014

hollar.38@osu.edu
Perry Parks (left) takes a selfie with President Obama during the President's visit to Winston-Salem, N.C., on Dec. 6, 2010.  Credit: Courtesy of MCT

Perry Parks (left) takes a selfie with President Obama during the President’s visit to Winston-Salem, N.C., on Dec. 6, 2010.
Credit: Courtesy of MCT

Guys, I told you: selfies weren’t going anywhere.

Joe Biden — THE Joe Biden, vice president of the United States of America — made an Instagram account Wednesday.

Unsurprisingly, this launched the Internet into a frenzy.

“Seriously, his first post is utter perfection,” “Time” pop culture reporter Samantha Grossman wrote Wednesday.

The shot — which features Biden in the background reading over something that I probably don’t have the clearance level to touch, and, in the foreground, his iconic Ray-Ban aviator sunglasses — promised a future filled with pictures of one of Pennsylvania’s best exports and his stylish eyewear.

And the future is now: In true Instagram fashion — seriously, this guy is a natural — one picture is never enough. Hours later, there came more posts to Biden’s account, @VP.

One of which was his first Instagram selfie, and guess who made an appearance? President Barack Obama, that’s who.

“Found a friend to join my first selfie on Instagram. Thanks for following and stay tuned,” the caption, signed “VP,” read.

Thanks, Obama!

In a tweet from Biden’s account, @JoeBiden, the picture has been given a name: “The First Selfie.”

Hear, hear. But this raises the question of what to call their next selfie, assuming there are more to come (there had better be more to come).

“The Second Selfie?”

“The second First Selfie?”

Will the Smithsonian open a “selfie museum” to preserve these portraits of our heads of state?

Regardless, as of this afternoon, the picture had received upward of 43,000 likes on Instagram and more than 15,000 retweets on Twitter.

That’s nothing compared to another famous selfie from earlier this year, however: Ellen DeGeneres’ star-studded Oscars selfie has received upward of 3.4 million retweets.

But retweets aren’t everything: What really matters is that Biden’s Instagram is probably going to feature more pictures of America’s most adorable bromance, and soon.

1. glen says:

With either the willfully blind approval or the willful ignorance of the judiciary the right has killed & stolen several of my pets and routinely shoot energy weaponry at me and my pets. Recent harm to animals include: two kittens from a pregnant stray i took in were killed a few days ago. The remaining two, just 3 weeks old, shake their head as government operatives shoot them with energy weaponry. They shot the eye out or removed the eye of a large really good natured stray at the port, hobbled another cat at the port, shooting it with energy weaponry, and routinely kill and leave dead animals in my path. A few years ago one of them threatened, prophetic, ‘we’ll just kill a cat every so often’, in so many words. This has continued despite my calls to the police, the FBI, Congress, and my petitions in court. In the usual case, it appears that the right goes to a judicial crony for a ruling permitting them to harm animals to retaliate against me for my free speech. There’s no serious argument but that they interfered with my personal life and economic options for 3 decades, so their solution to my noting it is to kill animals.

2. glen says:

Makes perfect sense right? It does if you’re a sociopathic criminal, criminally stupid, and hawkish. Invariably their lies are exposed and the wrongfulness of the harm is clear to everyone, though not until the animals have been maimed or killed. There is really only one solution, and that’s to disempower them politically.
    Typically operating through Puppets–including puppets in the judiciary–the right wing has for decades been committing crimes and trying to classify them to cover them up, a move explicitly forbidden by the Code of Federal Regulations. The right has accomplished its political objectives by presenting a fraction of the evidence to judicial officials who, having seen the pattern dozens of times before, could not help but realize that they were being presented with incomplete and inaccurate information.
    If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth, right? the Democrats’ great accomplishment is producing the political equivalent of a Rodney King video, clearly demonstrating the lies of the right, the right Hilary Clinton correctly identified as a vast conspiracy. Confirm by examining Central District of California Cases, 01-4340, 03-9097, 08-5515, 10-5193, US Tax Court 12000-07L –though I think you want to view my US Tax Court Appeal to the 9th Circuit for a good account of their day to day assaults, a few month time slice indicative of a decade of assault, and 9th Circuit case 11-56043.

3. Anonymous says:

Kep posting glen, you and the idiot who wrote this article are exhibit A as to why the Democrats are out of their minds. The debt has exploded under Obama to $17 Trillion, which equates to $125,000 per working American. It’s the college students of today that will have to write those checks in the future. Lame selfies advertising Ray Banns aren’t fooling anyone who is sane.