Opinion: Taiwan can’t avoid globalization by dodging trade pact with China

April 7, 2014

dai.133@osu.edu

There is an issue between China and Taiwan: whether Taiwan is country or is a part of China. As a person who has been taught for 20 years that Taiwan is a part of China, I am not going to talk about the politics, because it is too big for me to talk about it.

However, Taiwan students have captured some media attention after they occupied Taiwan’s legislature in protest of a trade pact with China – and have been there since March 18. I am keeping an eye on this event, primarily because I am Chinese, and secondly, because this protest is confucing. According to The Wall Street Journal, “protesters said that the deal would be detrimental to small and medium-size enterprises in Taiwan.” I am not an expert in business, but there is one thing I know very well: globalization is everywhere. The protesters are trying to prevent Taiwan from stepping into the international market, but why? From what has been reported, some people fear the greater integration with Chinese economics will threaten Taiwan.

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. First, how about China? Is there any possibility that the economic integration with Taiwan will harm China? I rarely hear any fear about this side of the conflict. Many Chinese people believe the integration with other countries will foster economic development. The trend of globalization is unavoidable. Moreover, some Taiwanese people have said they do not want Chinese businessmen to do business in Taiwan, despite the fact that there are many Taiwanese businessmen doing business in China.

Should I also go back China and occupy the Chinese legislature to ask Taiwanese businessmen to leave China?

Because of the conflict surrounding the pact, protestors have been occupying the legislature for about 20 days. According to some reports, they are not planning to leave until they get what they want. I believe there are plenty of ways to talk with the government, since Taiwan is democratic country – I don’t think I have a chance to do this in China. As a consequence, I don’t see the necessity to occupy the legislature.

If the protestors fear for the future of Taiwan economy and what this pact will mean for that, however we never know how something will turn out until we try.

If the protestors really want do something good for Taiwan’s economy, they should stop acting like children and more like adults.

1. TommyS says:

Resistance to Communism is good. Usually adults understand that, and children don’t.

2. Dchen says:

Comrade Dai,

You sure you been following the events in Taiwan? This is about government transparency, you may twist your logic with hypothetical monikers. Taiwan is not a one party state, one ruling party cannot do what it wishes without government oversight, it is called checks and balances (maybe you heard of it, if not please takes political science 101). As for your globalization/free trade rationale, you should read the agreement and pact before you write this op-ed.

3. RE: The protesters are trying to prevent Taiwan from stepping into the international market, but why?
    ——————————
    Its called WIIFM [What's In It For Me].

The students don’t want to work for PRC wages, nor under PRC working conditions. Many of the jobs (with futures) the students would have filled will be transferred to the PRC. Domestic Taiwan advances in technology, methodology, and product development/extension will be immediately “hijacked” by the supranational corporations to the lowest cost (mainland) producers, and will never benefit the actual innovators. The supranational corporations will engage in massive tax evasion, for example through transfer pricing, depriving the local governments of needed revenue for the upkeep/improvement of the local infrastructure and social spending such as old age pensions and food security.

4. Anonymous says:

Comrade Dai is absolutely the typical idiot communist who has learned everything he knows from state run media. The Chinese govt runs over human rights dissidents in Tianamen square and he is so dumb he thanks them for the splattered brains. What an absolute buffoon.