Home » Campus » University Senate chair recommends charging Ohio State students for May Session

University Senate chair recommends charging Ohio State students for May Session

While Executive Vice President and Provost Joseph Steinmetz said the future of Maymester needs further evaluation, others have already decided that the program is costing the university too much.

Richard Dietrich, chair of the University Senate fiscal committee, suggested at the final University Senate meeting of the academic year Thursday that OSU should start charging tuition for the program.

“The provost has not yet taken up the recommendation, to the best of my knowledge. I’m scheduled to meet with him next week to discuss it,” he said.

May Session was created during the conversion from quarters to semesters, and allows students to take up to three credits with waived tuition during a four week section following Spring Semester. Currently, participating students pay about $70 in student activity, student union and Central Ohio Transit Authority fees.

Dietrich’s proposal was backed by a budget review committee, which issued a report April 9 that estimated the university could expect a $11 to $12 million revenue gain each year if students were charged for Maymester, assuming a 8.5 percent participation rate.

Steinmetz had said he was open to the possibility of charging tuition for Maymester and had asked the Senate fiscal committee to look into it.

“My concerns are, is if this is costing the university to waive these three credit hours and it’s having a negative impact on our other semesters, I think we’re probably not getting to the point where we want to be with this,” Steinmetz told BuckeyeTV, an affiliate of The Lantern, April 1. “So if that’s the case and that’s the recommendation to come, we would consider charging during May Session.”

1. I hope that the university moves quickly to charge tuition for maymester. I hate to think that they will not have enough to give lavish bonuses to all their mucky mucks. I’m sure it must be very hard to subsist on $200,000 plus each year.

2. Carol, that’s an excellent start, but I doubt it will be enough. I’ve been reading Gallway and Emerich’s “Subsistence Bureaucracy” and the needs of today’s higher ed administrators go even deeper than I had thought. Gallway and Emerich are experimental quasi-anthropologists who made a splash in their area of study a few years back with their re-examination and re-authentification of Piltdown Man. It was, literally, “GROUND BREAKING!”

***************ADVERTISEMENT*********************

Well, these two have come up with the Ultimate Solution to higher education funding, SPECIFICALLY FOR OSU, and I’m their OSU affiliate.

Dr. Steinmetz, you need to contact me. I promise you this product is the real deal. It’ll take the OSU BRAND to the NEXT LEVEL.

From excellence…to eminence…TO EFFERVESCENCE!

Skull pieces, Dr. Steinmetz… OLD ONES. From a certain…gorge…in Africa…

Autographed…I can’t say by who…okay…well…

OKAY!!

MARY LEAKEY AND THOR HEYERDAHL! They’re on LUCY’S SKULL PIECES!!

They already have the OSU logo embossed on the reverse! They’ll sell like petrified hotcakes at a paleontologist convention!

And when they’re gone, I got the ultimate show piece for Orton Hall, freshly dug up at night from Mound City Group:

AN EFFIGY PIPE THAT LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE THE LATE…

DOCTOR…
    RAYMOND…
    BABY!

Call me before I sell this INVESTMENT PIECE to Erich von Daniken. He’s ringing my phone off the hook, leaving offers in the MILLIONS…imagine that shyster getting ahold of this gem.

ARE YOU GONNA LET VON DANIKEN SHOW UP OSU AND POSSIBLY WIN A NOBEL PRIZE??

Paint it Scarlet and Grey and wave it at football games! Publicity beyond your wildest dreams! Unlimited bonus funds!! Yachts! Summer homes!! Paris getaways for you and the whole OSU entourage!! THOUSAND HORSEPOWER GOLF CARTS!!

PUT OSU ON THE MAP, STEINMETZ. MAKE THE SMITHSONIAN PUKE!! BUY THIS EFFIGY PIPE!

POSTMODERNIZE PREHISTORY, AS YOU SPECULATE ON ALIEN TIME TRAVEL AND ARTISTIC METHODS IN A JOURNAL ARTICLE OF YOUR VERY OWN! (Ghostwriting services extra.)

Oh yeah, you and Dietrich might even keep Maymester free, lower regular tuition 1.25% and brag about your extreme largesse. Just a thought.

Karl

PS: Just don’t mention me in your journal article.
    PSS: CALL FOR PRICING!! Or maybe you’d prefer a 50-year lease?