Then-junior tight end Jeff Heuerman (86) is brought down during the Big Ten Championship Game against Michigan State Dec. 7 at Lucas Oil Stadium. OSU lost, 34-24. Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

Then-junior tight end Jeff Heuerman (86) is brought down during the Big Ten Championship Game against Michigan State Dec. 7 at Lucas Oil Stadium. OSU lost, 34-24.
Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

Yet another key player for the Ohio State Buckeyes is going to miss time because of injury this spring.

Senior tight end Jeff Heuerman suffered a foot sprain during practice last week and is slated to miss the rest of spring practice after having surgery Monday, OSU coach Urban Meyer said Tuesday. Meyer said he expects Heuerman to be back in June for summer workouts.

“Jeff Heuerman had surgery on his foot. What it was was a sprain, and I don’t want to get too technical because I usually screw those things up,” Meyer said. “It’s a six-week in a cast/boot, and we should have him ready to go full speed by June.”

Heuerman is the latest OSU player to be shelved for the remainder of spring practice, after sophomore safety Vonn Bell, sophomore H-back Jalin Marshall, senior quarterback Braxton Miller and senior wide receiver Evan Spencer have all been out with injuries. Miller and Spencer’s injuries occurred in January’s Discover Orange Bowl, while Bell and Marshall went down with knee injuries earlier in spring practice.

“So that’s three guys that we’re dealing with, but Jeff didn’t need as many reps. But we lost Jalin and we lost Vonn Bell,” Meyer said. “The positive is that they’re all (going to be) back … fairly early too. Sometimes you lose that summer training which is terrible.”

Heuerman was an important part of OSU’s success last season, hauling in 26 passes for 446 yards and four touchdowns, as well as earning the the praises of Meyer and co-offensive line coach Ed Warinner for his run blocking skills.

The Naples, Fla., product was looked to be more of a leader next season on the line after the Buckeyes lost four starting linemen to graduation.

Heuerman’s backup, redshirt-junior Nick Vannett, along with freshman Marcus Baugh will likely get the most snaps at tight end as Heuerman recovers from the injury. He is expected back in June.

After the annual spring game April 12 at Ohio Stadium, the Buckeyes are set to open their 2014 campaign Aug. 30 against Navy in Baltimore at M&T Bank Stadium. Kickoff is set for noon.