Redshirt-senior left tackle Jack Mewhort (74) prepares to block a defender during a game against Penn State Oct. 26 at Ohio Stadium. OSU won, 63-14. Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

Redshirt-senior left tackle Jack Mewhort (74) prepares to block a defender during a game against Penn State Oct. 26 at Ohio Stadium. OSU won, 63-14.
Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

Former Ohio State offensive lineman Jack Mewhort was selected by the Indianapolis Colts with the 59th overall pick in the second round of the 2014 NFL Draft.

Mewhort was a three-year starter for the Buckeyes and a 2013 ESPN first-team All-American, as well as an Associated Press third-team All-American.

Named as a team captain during his senior season, Mewhort led an offensive rushing attack that ranked fifth in the country with 308.6 yards per game. The Buckeye offense broke school records for points scored in a season with 637 and touchdowns with 87 behind Mewhort and the rest of the line.

As a junior, Mewhort started all 12 games in an undefeated season for the Buckeyes. He missed just 10 offensive snaps from scrimmage in 2012, earning second-team All-Big Ten honors.

Mewhort started all 13 games during his sophomore season and played in 10 games as a true freshman in 2010.

He graduated from OSU with a degree in consumer and family resource financial services May 4.

Mewhort was the first selection of the Colts in the 2014 draft and the fourth OSU player taken behind linebacker Ryan Shazier (Steelers), cornerback Bradley Roby (Broncos), and running back Carlos Hyde (49ers).

The Colts are scheduled to begin their season against Roby and the Denver Broncos Sept. 7 at 8:30 p.m.