Freshman pitcher Zach Farmer, throws a pitch. OSU won against Toledo, 7-2, April 2.  Credit: Elliot Schall / Lantern photographer

Freshman pitcher Zach Farmer, throws a pitch. OSU won against Toledo, 7-2, April 2.
Credit: Elliot Schall / Lantern photographer

Ohio State freshman pitcher Zach Farmer will miss the remainder of the 2014 season after being diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia this week.

According to the National Cancer Institute, acute myeloid leukemia is a type of cancer that affects the blood and bone marrow.

“I met with Zach this morning and he is in good spirits in the company of family, friends and teammates,” OSU baseball coach Greg Beals said in a released statement Thursday. “Zach is strong, and otherwise healthy, and is a great candidate to beat this diagnosis.”

Farmer is set to begin a treatment process Monday at the Wexner Medical Center James Comprehensive Cancer Center. He and his family found out about the illness earlier this week, and the rest of the team was notified Tuesday before its trip to Louisville, Ky., for a game against Louisville Wednesday.

OSU lost that game, 7-3.

Farmer appeared in 10 games this season for the Buckeyes and had a 6-4 record to go along with a 3.28 ERA. He was second to senior pitcher Greg Greve with nine starts this season, while Greve has made 11 starts.

“The team as a whole is obviously concerned about their brother, but we will forge on in our mission,” Beals said.

OSU (25-20, 6-9) is scheduled to take on the Iowa Hawkeyes (25-15, 7-8) Saturday at Bill Davis Stadium. First pitch is set for 3:05 p.m.