2 new divisional deans named in College of Arts and Sciences

June 4, 2014

Hickman.201@osu.edu

Two changes in divisional leadership in the College of Arts and Sciences were announced by the College’s Executive Dean David Manderscheid Tuesday: Natural and mathematical sciences as well as social and behavioral sciences will both have new deans.

Christopher Hadad, professor of chemistry and biochemistry, was made the divisional dean of the mathematical and natural sciences, effective July 1. Hadad will replace current dean, Peter March, who is set to be executive dean of the School of Arts and Sciences at Rutgers University.

Hadad served as arts and sciences NMS associate dean since September, 2011.

“I am confident that Christopher, who is a highly accomplished chemist, along with his substantial experience as associate dean — he has been deeply involved in planning for the new Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering and Chemistry Building (CBEC), among other projects — will hit the ground running and help us continue to move the college forward,” Manderscheid said in a press release.

Janet Box-Steffensmeier has been appointed divisional dean of the social and behavioral sciences, effective August 1.

Box-Steffensmeier is currently the Vernal Riffe Professor of Political Science.

She will assume the duties the program’s current divisional dean, Gifford Weary, upon Weary’s retirement on July 31.

“I’ve been at Ohio State for over 20 years now and I’m really looking forward to serving the institution that’s really fostered my career,” Box-Steffensmeier said in an interview with The Lantern. “I’ve thought long and hard about it and decided it was a great opportunity to give something back to an institution that has given me so much.”

An OSU spokeswoman was not immediately able to fulfill requests for salary information for the new provisional deans in relation to the out-going deans.