2 professors in College of Arts and Sciences get new roles with higher pay. Left: Janet Box-Steffensmeier, Right: Christopher Hadad. Credit: Courtesy of Amy Murray

2 professors in College of Arts and Sciences get new roles with higher pay. Left: Janet Box-Steffensmeier, Right: Christopher Hadad.
Credit: Courtesy of Amy Murray

Two recently-named divisional deans within the College of Arts and Sciences are slated to receive larger compensations than in their previous roles.

Christopher Hadad, professor of chemistry and biochemistry, was made the divisional dean of mathematical and natural sciences, effective July 1. He is set to make about 5 percent more in his new role.

Hadad is slated to make $231,297 over the course of a year-long appointment at the beginning of the academic year, OSU spokeswoman Amy Murray said. This amount includes a 10 percent administrative compensation on his base salary and continued research as a professor of chemistry.

In his previous appointment as a professor of chemistry and an associate dean in Arts and Sciences, Hadad made a 9-month base salary of $142,524. With additional research work during the summer and sponsored research projects, he will have made $220,120 for the academic year prior to becoming divisional dean, Murray said.

He replaces current dean, Peter March, who is moving to a position at Rutgers University.

Janet Box-Steffensmeier was appointed divisional dean of social and behavioral sciences and is set to begin her new role August 1. She is set to make more than nearly 14 percent more than in her previous position.

She will make a 12-month base salary of $345,408 in her new position, Murray said.

This amount includes 10 percent administrative compensation on her base salary and for continued research as the Vernal Riffe Professor of Political Science, which is an endowed position.

Last year, Box-Steffensmeier made $303,357, which includes a 9-month base salary of $232,656 and in addition to compensation for additional research work during the summer as the Riffe Professor of Political Science and for sponsored research projects, Murray said.

Box-Steffensmeier assumes the duties of the program’s current divisional dean, Gifford Weary, upon Weary’s retirement.

“I’ve been at Ohio State for over 20 years now and I’m really looking forward to serving the institution that’s really fostered my career,” Box-Steffensmeier said. “I’ve thought long and hard about it and decided it was a great opportunity to give something back to an institution that has given me so much.”