Editorial: Tuition changes mark unequal treatment of Ohio residents, nonresidents

June 10, 2014

lanternnewsroom@gmail.com

LANTERN STAFF

For the second year in a row, Ohio State has enacted a tuition freeze for in-state students. And for the second year in a row, OSU is bumping up charges for out-of-state students.

Last week, the OSU Board of Trustees approved a plan that keeps tuition the same for in-state and graduate students for the 2014-15 academic year and increases the out-of-state surcharge by 5 percent.

For the 2013-14 academic year, in-state tuition was set at $10,010, while out-of-state tuition was $25,726, according to the OSU tuition and fees website. The nonresident tuition surcharge, however, rose 2 percent.

In the meantime, OSU hasn’t forgotten to preach its desire for diversity and its wish to draw in students from all over, which now seems a little hypocritical.

Although OSU highlighted that 21.2 percent of this past year’s freshman class came from other states in its enrollment report, it feels like it’s whispering its affections to Buckeye State residents in the meantime: Don’t worry, we’ll help you out tuition-wise.

The idea comes back to the balance OSU is trying to maintain between being a land-grant institution, serving Ohio’s students, and a flagship one, catering to a global lecture hall.

The university isn’t looking to draw in more out-of-state students than in-state ones, though, as Provost and Executive Vice President Joseph Steinmetz has said. That makes it more understandable that the university would want to keep tuition low and appealing to Ohio students.

“I know of institutions in this country that have more than half of their student body come from out of state. I think that would not be acceptable here at Ohio State because I think we will have abandoned a good part of the land-grant initiative,” Steinmetz said in an April interview with The Lantern.

That’s not what we’re asking for, though. What we’re asking for is to not be treated like out-of-state students and in-state students when it comes to tuition changes, but just as OSU students.

Nonresident tuition will likely always cost more, and that makes sense. But it shouldn’t necessarily always have to increase more.

The staff of The Lantern includes Ohio residents and nonresidents alike, and while a tuition freeze helps many of us, increasing fees for out-of-state students still hurts a lot of us. As OSU moves forward, we hope there can come a time where no one’s tuition has to rise.

1. anon says:

I guess if we’re a flagship then we’ve gotta charge what we’re worth to outsiders. The value is immense for an in-state student. I would happily see executive bloat decrease sooner than the out-of-state tuition hike though.

2. Michael says:

Out of state students and their parents are welcome to pay years of back Ohio taxes if their little snowflake attends OSU. Say 18 years?

3. Jeff says:

Michael has it exactly right Liz. This is a poor editorial because it just highlights that tuition is going up for out of state students. How about crunching some actual numbers about how much taxes out of state students would owe? Do some more homework instead of just complaining and making a dumb point.

4. Y says:

Poorly written article. Liz are you an out-of-state student? I agree with Michael and Jeff, in state students parents are paying taxes; while all of the out-of-state students are paying parents are paying taxes to their home state institutions, OSU doesn’t really benefit from that. When they agreed to attend a university out-of-state they were aware, or should have been aware of, the consequences including tuition hikes; the OSU tuition website states, please expect a 5% yearly increase in tuition; so maybe they should be thankful tuition only rose 2%. OHIO State University has more of any obligation to the people of the state of OHIO first, then out-of-state students, I understand the concept of were all Buckeyes, as you mentioned; but the university must take care of its home residents first then others and I’m confident OSU is not the only institution who increased just out-of-state student tuition this year or years before.

5. Me says:

Where do you guys see that someone named “Liz” wrote this? All I see is Lantern Staff???

6. Jeff says:

To “me” who I’m assuming is Liz or someone at the lantern, the story has been edited from yesterday. As I’m sure you know. Yesterday it clearly said who wrote it and it was tweeted from her account. Typical lantern, once you realize how dumb your articles are and you get some bad feedback you hide from it. Nice one. Keep doing your tabloid like reporting.

7. Anonymous says:

Typical student complaint without doing any research. Cute.

8. Anonymous says:

HAHA omg they seriously changed her byline?? Pathetic.

9. Anonymous says:

Argument would be stronger if you didn’t include yourselves at the end. The school shouldn’t change things just because some of the school newspaper staff is affected, it should change things because a portion of students are affected. You are not special.

10. Grad Anon says:

Wow… I see we’re back to really poor writing and research from The Lantern after we had a short glimmer of hope there.
    Are you honestly telling me that THIS is the issue “Lantern Staff” think is important while ignoring the numerous national articles being written about the inequitable pay of OSU administrators and the the huge student debt all OSU students take on?

11. Steve says:

Ohio residents pay taxes that support OSU and out of state families do not pay these same taxes. Additionally, OSU is the land grant university for Ohio. What should be asked is why OSU has ever increasing entrance requirements, closing out many highly qualified Ohio HS seniors. This needs to be explored and please don’t settle for an answer that claims branch campuses allow for “multiple front doors” to OSU.

12. Owlguin says:

Based on the stats posted on the OSU website for the last Freshman class, out-of-state students comprised 28% of the Freshman class while contributing 50% of the freshman tuition gross revenues. Every state university gladly accepts out of state students for this very reason, and because many of those freshman are academic scholars that improve the school’s statistics. The BOT took the easy way out of funding the current year increase in costs by placing the entire burden on out of state students ($1,286 annually, a very large increase). If they had tried to increase tuition 5% for in-state students (about $500 annually), there would have been extreme fallout from students, parents and political figures…it just never would have happened. Out-of-state parents and students have little say in the matter. While I still like the school my son chose, I find it disheartening that the BOT (and apparently many parents and students) are so willing to throw their fellow out of state students under the bus. Keep in mind that while we do not pay Ohio taxes, we do pay a big premium that is supporting the school’s costs. If that was not beneficial to the school, they wouldn’t be so eager to accept out-of-state students.

13. glen robert broemer says:

If this seems like overposting, I generally publish when I’ve been assaulted, or when my privacy is ignored, or when my cats cry out in pain by some action of government. I’ve been assaulted thousands of times over the past decade now, I’m sure that estimate is accurate….the other day one of my cats was bleeding, hair missing from its back, and two of them actually have scabs on their back as a result of being shot with energy weaponry. According to one report this results from my publication of Ronald Reagan quotes and biographical facts, indisputable and in fact from wikipedia. The federal government of course has all the power in the world to stop it. My tooth was knocked out in increments, over a 2 year span by energy weaponry assaults, for stating and proving the crimes committed by the federal government.
    If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth, right? the Democrats’ great accomplishment is producing the political equivalent of a Rodney King video, clearly demonstrating the lies of the right, the right Hilary Clinton correctly identified as a vast conspiracy. Confirm by examining Central District of California Cases, 01-4340, 03-9097, 08-5515, 10-5193, US Tax Court 12000-07L –though I think you want to view my US Tax Court Appeal to the 9th Circuit for a good account of their day to day assaults, a few month time slice indicative of a decade of assault, and more recently 9th Circuit

14. Josh P says:

I find it interesting how many people are being extremely negative toward the author of this piece. Yes, the university is supported by government funds. The State appropriation for this year is about 503 million. However, the portion of taxes that each resident in Ohio would pay toward the university (not counting other state expenses) would be about 43 dollars per year (503 million / 11.5 million residents). So if we are willing to argue numbers then yes, lets make the tuition the same for all students and the out of state students can pay that 43 dollars per year they should have been contributing. Large universities often rely upon prestige in order to grow and secure greater futures for their alumni, out of state students represent a portion of that effort. Also I would like to point out that as a land grant institution the college is not obligated to only educate the students of that state, nor must the university be a public school at all. Cornell university (Ivy league) is a private school that was chosen as the land grant for the state of New York, it however maintains more of a focus on the agricultural and industrial fields that were actual stipulations of the land grant acts. Out of state students should pay more in tuition, that does not mean they should be the only ones to bear the burden of tuition hikes.