Ohio State engineering professor dies in traffic accident

June 4, 2014

Hickman.201@osu.edu
Carolyn Merry, a professor emerita in the College of Engineering, died Tuesday in a traffic accident.  Credit: Ohio State University

Carolyn Merry, a professor emerita in the College of Engineering, died Tuesday in a traffic accident.
Credit: Ohio State University

A College of Engineering professor emerita died in a car accident Tuesday.

Carolyn Merry, a scholar in remote sensing and geographic information systems, was driving north on I-71 when her car was hit from behind by a semi-truck that didn’t stop for traffic that was backed up by an earlier crash, according to a press release from OSU.

Merry was 63 years old.

“We will miss Carolyn greatly. She was a leader, a scholar, a teacher, a mentor, so many wonderful things,” said College of Engineering dean David Williams in a released statement. “Carolyn has left us—and future generations of Buckeye engineers—with a lasting legacy of compassion, brilliance, and pioneering achievement.”

Merry retired last year after 25 years at OSU, beginning in 1988 when she was an assistant professor teaching surveying and remote sensing. In 2004, Merry became the department chair.

Merry and her husband, Robert Redfield, established the Carolyn J. Merry Engineering Scholarship Fund in 2009 with the goal of providing renewable scholarships to civil and environmental engineering undergraduate students.

Details on service arrangements will be released when made available, the press release said.

An OSU spokeswoman referred back to the release and did not provide further comment.

1. Chad says:

I had Dr. Merry while at OSU, she was a very special professor who truly cared about her students. She was so passionate about the geospatial field and that created enthusiasm in her students, she changed the world by influencing so many young engineers. She touched my life and left a lasting impression on me. So many years later I think of her fondly and I can’t even remember the names of my other professors, she was a very special person. It breaks my heart to hear this news, she was a wonderful teacher and an even better person, I’m sorry she’s gone.

2. Ram R says:

This is extremely saddening. Dr. Merry was personally involved and instrumental in helping me graduate from the Civil Engineering college. She was very approachable, friendly, helpful, and caring about her students.

I am lucky to have spent time with her at our company open house last month. She is a mentor, a friend, and will be greatly missed.

3. Dharmendra Saraswat says:

My heartfelt condolences to Mr. Redfield, friends, and family of Dr. Merry. I met with her in a conference just a couple of months ago. She was looking forward to enjoy her new role to the fullest. She was passionate about her teaching, led by example, took deep interest in mentoring future generations, a very understanding and caring committee member, and in recent times, a great colleagues who will be sorely missed. May God rest her soul in peace.

4. Oliver McGee says:

Carolyn and I were the only two assistant professors hired into the civil engineering department back in 1988 by former engineering dean Donald Glower. Carolyn was the first woman professor later tenured in the civil engineering department. I was the first black professor later tenured in the civil engineering department and the college of engineering. Carolyn and I continued to break knew ground together at Ohio State. I proceeded Carolyn as civil engineering department chair (2001-2005). Carolyn served admirably afterwards as civil engineering department chair (2005-2012). I truly valued serving through the years with Carolyn as a colleague of the engineering professoriate at Ohio State. We often discussed my time as a young civil engineering student at Ohio State. For Carolyn was a huge fan of Ohio State football and the Ohio State Marching Band of which she admired my time serving as a former drum major (1980), returning back to perform several years later at the various alumni reunion games. I always recall fondly the joyful spirit in Carolyn’s eyes as she described her enjoyment of the OSU Marching Band. I recall fondly sitting with Carolyn and her husband this year at the OSU-Iowa football game this past season. May God bless your soul Carolyn Jean Merry now as you rest in his Devine Peace with him. Warmly, Oli

5. Oliver McGee says:

Carolyn and I were the only two assistant professors hired into the civil engineering department back in 1988 by former engineering dean Donald Glower. Carolyn was the first woman professor later tenured in the civil engineering department. I was the first black professor later tenured in the civil engineering department and the college of engineering. Carolyn and I continued to break knew ground together at Ohio State. I preceded Carolyn as civil engineering department chair (2001-2005). Carolyn served admirably afterwards as civil engineering department chair (2005-2012). I truly valued serving through the years with Carolyn as a colleague of the engineering professoriate at Ohio State. We often discussed my time as a young civil engineering student at Ohio State. For Carolyn was a huge fan of Ohio State football and the Ohio State Marching Band of which she admired my time serving as a former drum major (1980), returning back to perform several years later at the various alumni reunion games. I always recall fondly the joyful spirit in Carolyn’s eyes as she described her enjoyment of the OSU Marching Band. I recall fondly sitting with Carolyn and her husband this year at the OSU-Iowa football game this past season. May God bless your soul Carolyn Jean Merry now as you rest in his Divine Peace with him. Warmly, Oli

6. Linda Young says:

I just heard this story on the news and was saddened, my sincere condolences to Ms. Merry’s family.

7. Saady Amin says:

I have known Dr. Merry since 2001 first as undergraduate. I loved the way she inspired us to be better engineers. I will be ever grateful to her for guiding me towards my graduate studies in 2011~2012. To the family and friends of Dr. Merry, I wish to convey my deepest sympathy and pray that the All Mighty gives you strength to overcome this terrthe ible loss. Good by Dr. Merry you will be dearly missed.

8. Mehedy Amin says:

I am very sorry to learn about sudden death of Dr. Merry. Her eagerness to help students was unparalleled. I still fondly remember her classes from 2001. She was one of the best teacher and person I have known in my life. I pray for her departed soul.

9. Sandra Lary Hummer says:

I have know Dr. Carolyn J.Merry for 37 years, and her husband, Bob, since 1977, though not as well as C.J. We have vacationed together, she stayed in our home in Virginia when she was in D.C. on business. She visited us several times when we lived in the Netherlands from 1989 to 1994. During those many years, I was always amazed at her brilliance, her tenacity, and the childlike response when she found out that we kept the butter in the refrigerator!! She was the most she genuine, caring, good natured, and funniest soul I’ve ever known. She had a beautiful garden. She canned and preserved. She had a little MG that she loved (and probably still has), she had a Fiero, she had a charming cottage in the hills of NH. She has always had the same haircut she had the day I met her. She loved her family. She loved Bob’s family. She really liked wine. She loved the Ohio State Buckeyes. When she first moved to Ohio, she was a little confused. She told me that Ohio State had the greatest football team – “the Ohio State Buckeroos!! She was right about the greatest football team, and she had season tickets from day one. She travelled all over the world, but she never stayed in the “upgraded” accomodations.” When we lived in Holland, we drove her to Austria for a symposium. She was a guest speaker. She stayed in the “hostel” accomodations. She had reservations to come to NH on June 16th to visit us. I loved her so much. I’ll never get over the fact that she’s gone.