Out-of-state tuition set to rise at Ohio State as in-state tuition remains frozen

June 11, 2014

bendtsen.1@osu.edu
osu tuition rise

Click to expand.

Out-of-state students could see cost increases for the 2014-15 academic year as the surcharge for non-Ohio residents has been proposed to increase 5 percent, pending approval at Friday’s Board of Trustees meeting. The fees for room and board are set to increase somewhere between 4.1 to 4.3 percent.

In-state tuition for all Ohio State campuses, however, is set to stay the same again. Tuition for graduate students is also proposed to remain the same.

The tuition proposals were introduced at Thursday’s Financial Committee meeting, during which they were approved by that body.

Some course-based and technology fees will also see some increases, OSU chief financial officer Geoff Chatas said.

Interim President Joseph Alutto said the tuition plan was a reflection of OSU’s continuing “commitment to access and excellence.”

For the 2013-14 academic year, in-state tuition was set at $10,010 while out-of-state tuition was at $25,726, according to the OSU tuition and fees website. A 5 percent increase on the charge for out-of-state students would be an additional $780.

Room and board charges were about $10,800 for the 2013-14 year, according to the website. A 4.3 percent increase would equate to an additional $464.

Although a tuition freeze was enacted for in-state undergraduate students for the 2013-14 school year, non-resident tuition rose 2 percent.

Before that, tuition last rose across the board for the 2012-13 academic year. Tuition increased by 3.5 percent to about $10,000 at the time, while mandatory fees froze for the second consecutive year, so students only experienced a 3.2 percent increase in rates.

Trustee Michael Gasser, who is also the chair of the committee, praised the proposal but also suggested the recent trend of tuition freezes needs to be re-examined in coming years so the university doesn’t see a drop-off in the quality of its services.

An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that a 5 percent increase on the non-resident surcharge would amount to $1,286, which is 5 percent of the non-resident total tuition. The actual increase, which only includes the surcharge, will be $780.

1. Owlguin says:

One thing they don’t mention to out-of-state students is that the scholarships remain frozen, but there will be annual tuition hikes. A 5% tuition hike on that amount of tuition is just too much. I guess the commitment to access only means Ohio residents.

2. CM says:

Yes, that “commitment to access and excellence” is obviously centered on Ohio residents and it seems to me that OSU does not care much for out-of-state students…even ones like me, who live in a town literally on the OH/PA border. Thanks for the “commitment to access,” OSU…I can only pray my education ends up worth the tuition.

3. TH says:

As OSU is a state college,”access and excellence” for Ohio students should be the priority. @CM, PA has wonderful colleges,perhaps transfering to one of them might be a better financial option if the burden at OSU is too great with the increases.

4. Owlguin says:

Transferring is a terrible option, as bad as the BOT burdening the its out of state students with the entire increase. My son was certainly lured by the scholarship offered, which was a great incentive. This increase eats up 10% of his scholarship. They want out of state students, but they need to be more up front about the fact that they will bear the burden of price increases in future years, if that is the plan.

5. ET says:

@TH So you’re just telling out-of-state students to transfer out of the university they specifically chose to come to due to tuition increases? Although it will be a burden to pay more this coming year I love OSU and don’t want to leave it.

6. Ohio Taxpayers First says:

for @CM, @ET and @PT – yes, as an Ohio taxpayer (and alumni), just like a PA taxpayer, my kids should get first dibs and lower costs – I already pay more than the $10,000 if you include the taxes I pay. In addition, Ohio kids are kicked to the curb (regional campuses) in an effort to house out-of-state kids on Columbus Campus – so some of us don’t feel sorry for you. If my kid wanted to go out-of-state, I would expect to pay more – out-of-state tuition is a cash cow for any institution. Ohio kids from top schools get forced into regional campuses and then when they transfer to Columbus, they are treated like 2nd class citizens, even though they take the same courses with the same curriculum and taught by actual faculty rather than TA’s – faculty, that mind you, are under the guidance/tenure of the Columbus campus colleges.

7. TommyS says:

This, on top of the unchecked violent crime on campus, will surely put a damper on out-of-state students. Looking at it from a money perspective, the school will probably get less revenue than it currently does, as the out-of-state percentage falls with the rate increase. So, yes, more Ohio kids will go there, but there will be less resources to educate them, and the school will become less of a “national” school.

8. TommyS says:

Another very messed-up aspect of this: people living illegally in Ohio (and because of that illegal status, probably having paid little in taxes) can get in-state tuition, as the school jacks already-high tuition for fellow Americans who are law-abiding. Not a good trend for the “national” reputation the school aspires to maintain.

(When I say “illegal”, I’m ignoring President Obama’s unconstitutional executive order attempting to grant legal status to people brought here illegally as minors.)

9. Anonymous says:

Hahahaha yeh because ohio has such a problem with “illegals.” Maybe you should go to college tommy.

10. Karin says:

Thank GOD my son graduated last month…….the out of state fee were too much!!!

Really? OSU?

11. TommyS says:

Haha. College is the last place one would go to learn anything about the problems associated with illegals. But, my point was beyond your grasp anyway…