OSU redshirt-junior wrestler Logan Stieber won his third national title March 22 against Virginia Tech’s Devin Carter, 10-1. Credit: Courtesy of OSU Athletics

Ohio State redshirt-junior wrestler Logan Stieber won his third national title March 22 against Virginia Tech’s Devin Carter, 10-1. He was named the OSU Male Athlete of the Year June 17.
Credit: Courtesy of OSU Athletics

With their names now up for Big Ten Athlete of the year, two standout Ohio State athletes have already garnered that same honor from the university.

Rower Catherine Shields and wrestler Logan Stieber were named the 2013-2014 Ohio State Athletes of the Year, according to a Tuesday press release.

Shields, a sophomore from New Zealand, was a first team All-American in 2014 as well as first team All-Big Ten. She helped lead her team to its second-straight NCAA championship on the heels of another Big Ten title. She was part of the crew that won OSU’s first national title in the first varsity eight competition. Shields is the second-consecutive rower to be named the OSU Female Athlete of the Year after Claire-Louise Bode in 2013.

Stieber won his third-consecutive individual national championship in 2014, which marked his junior season with the Buckeyes. He is the first OSU wrestler to win three-straight national titles and was named to the All-American and All-Big Ten lists for his performances throughout the season. He lost just once this past season and holds a 90-3 record in his OSU career – which is best in school history.

He is the first wrestler to garner OSU’s Male Athlete of the Year award since J Jaggers in 2009. Jaggers is now an assistant coach with the program.

The female award has been given out since 1983 and the male award has been awarded since 1982.  Other notable male winners include basketball player Evan Turner in 2010 and football player Troy Smith in 2006. Women’s basketball players Jessica Davenport and Jantel Lavender each were named Female Athlete of the Year twice in the past decade.