Smith-Steeb Hall opened Fall Semester 2013 after being closed for renovations. Credit: Ritika Shah / BuckeyeTV News director

Smith-Steeb Hall opened Fall Semester 2013 after being closed for renovations.
Credit: Ritika Shah / BuckeyeTV News director

Some Ohio State students looking for on-campus housing have found themselves on a waitlist.

Fifty-five students who applied for residence hall housing were on the waitlist as of Friday, Student Life spokesman Dave Isaacs said. He added, though, that this has happened in past years and “we fully expect to be able to accommodate everyone.”

“What we do with the waiting list is, as prospective students cancel, then we move people from the waiting list into those rooms,” he said. He added the cancellation rate this year has been consistent with previous years.

According to Student Life Housing, Isaacs said, 10,882 students applied for housing for this school year. Of those, 10,815 will be placed.

Isaacs said so far, eight of the students who were placed on the waitlist have chosen to find off-campus housing rather than wait. Those who go that route are referred to Student Life’s Neighborhood Services and Collaboration, which he said tries to help the student find a place to live as close to campus as possible.

Some local landlords said Thursday they had heard rumors OSU didn’t have enough space for students, but none had heard directly from OSU or students about the matter.

Isaacs noted that all 55 of the waitlisted students had missed the deadline for their housing contracts. Those aren’t necessarily the only students who missed the deadline, though.

He said he believes most of the students on the waitlist are incoming first-years. Isaacs also said because he hasn’t been involved with feedback, he couldn’t say whether OSU is receiving negative feedback from those on the waitlist.