Crane falls onto off-campus house, damages property

July 31, 2014

spears.116@buckeyemail.osu.edu

A crane tipped and hit an off-campus rental property on Chittenden Avenue July 31.  Credit: Chelsea Spears / Multimedia Editor

A crane tipped and hit an off-campus rental property on Chittenden Avenue July 31.
Credit: Chelsea Spears / Multimedia editor

The Columbus Division of Fire is trying to figure out how a crane tipped and fell onto an off-campus house while putting shingles on the roof.

Lt. Chad Bair with the Columbus Division of Fire was part of the first emergency crew on the scene at Chittenden Avenue Thursday afternoon.

“When we pulled up on the scene, we saw the crane laying on its side between the buildings with a chimney hanging partially off the building,” Bair said.

Bair said a resident was the one who made the 911 call around 3 p.m. The resident told dispatchers a crane had hit a Buckeye Real Estate rental property located at 50 Chittenden Ave.

“My first thought was to make sure the building was empty and no one was underneath the boom,” Bair said. “And nobody was.”

Bair said no one was hurt in the accident. He said the person operating the crane was outside of the vehicle at the time the crane tipped.

Fred Coons lives on Indianola Avenue near where the crane hit the building. He says construction companies are always working in the area, especially during the summer months.

When Coons heard about the crane, he said he had to come out to the scene to see it for himself.

“It’s not something that happens every day,” Coons said. “They’ve been putting a lot of shingles on roofs around here but obviously he had a mishap today. I don’t quite understand how that happened.”

Fire officials themselves are still trying to determine the cause of the accident.

“It’s too early to tell,” Bair said. “We don’t know if it was a malfunction in the equipment or the setup was done improperly or something like that.”

Police and fire officials blocked off Chittenden Avenue between Indianola Avenue and N. Pearl Street for several hours until the crane could be moved. Bair said they had to disassemble the crane before they could get it to a standing position and tow it away.

A dispatcher with the Columbus Division of Fire said inspectors are going out to the property Friday morning to assess the extent of the damage. The dispatcher said the damage does not look “too significant” at this point.

Despite the damage and commotion, Coons and many others were just happy the accident was not any worse.

“I’m just glad nobody got hurt,” Coons said. “I don’t want to see anyone get hurt. It’s not a pleasant thing.”

1. glen b says:

A few years ago one of them threatened ‘we’ll just kill a cat every so often’, in so many words. This has continued despite my calls to the police, the FBI, Congress, and my petitions in court. In the usual case, it appears that the right goes to a judicial crony for a ruling permitting them to harm animals to retaliate against me for my free speech. The federal government, the right wing in particular, interfered with my personal life and economic options for 3 decades, so their solution to my noting it is to kill animals. Makes perfect sense right? It does if you’re a sociopathic criminal, criminally stupid, and hawkish. Invariably their lies are exposed and the wrongfulness of the harm is clear to everyone, though not until the animals have been maimed or killed. There is really only one solution, and that’s to disempower them politically and to impeach them.
    If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth, right? the Democrats’ great accomplishment is producing the political equivalent of a Rodney King video, clearly demonstrating the lies of the right, the right Hilary Clinton correctly identified as a vast conspiracy. Confirm by examining Central District of California Cases, 01-4340, 03-9097, 08-5515, 10-5193, US Tax Court 12000-07L –though I think you want to view my US Tax Court Appeal to the 9th Circuit for a good account of their day to day assaults, a few month time slice indicative of a decade of assault, and more recently 9th Circuit case 11-56043.

2. glen b says:

If this seems like overposting, I generally publish when I’ve been assaulted, or when my privacy is ignored, or when my cats cry out in pain by some action of government. I’ve been assaulted thousands of times over the past decade now, I’m sure that estimate is accurate….the other day one of my cats was bleeding, hair missing from its back, and two of them actually have scabs on their back as a result of being shot with energy weaponry. According to one report this results from my publication of Ronald Reagan quotes and biographical facts, indisputable and in fact from wikipedia. The federal government of course has all the power in the world to stop it. My tooth was knocked out in increments, over a 2 year span by energy weaponry assaults, for stating and proving the crimes committed by the federal government.
    Typically operating through puppets–including puppets in the judiciary–the right wing has for decades been committing crimes and trying to classify them to cover them up, a move explicitly forbidden by the Code of Federal Regulations. The right has accomplished its political objectives by presenting a fraction of the evidence to judicial officials who, having seen the pattern dozens of times before, could not help but realize that they were being presented with incomplete and inaccurate information.
    With either the willfully blind approval or the willful ignorance of the judiciary the right has killed & stolen several of my pets and routinely shoots energy weaponry at me and my pets. Recent harm to animals include: two kittens from a pregnant stray i took in were killed a few months ago. The remaining two, just 3 months old, shake their head as government operatives shoot them with energy weaponry. They shot the eye out or removed the eye of a large really good natured stray at the port, hobbled another cat at the port, shooting it with energy weaponry, and for years routinely killed and left dead animals in my path.

3. herbert says:

glen, u mad bro?

4. FBI says:

Shut up Glen

5. glen b says:

lolcatz

6. MEN IN BLACK says:

Aliens did it.

Everyone gather around and look at this light.

7. Evan Wutever says:

Lazy journalism.. I live there and none of what the lantern said was true.. Geez

8. My two cents says:

Take your meds, Glen

9. Craner says:

I read somewhere their periods attract bears. Bears can smell the menstruation. A news reporter should write about that.It would be equally entertaining (it wouldn’t)

10. FBI Watch Group says:

Glen, this is your final warning. Stop trolling with comments like these. Leave these poor college students alone or we will be again forced to act against one of your cats. You need to report to your doctor immediately.

You have been warned.
    Agent 34452