Ohio State hires Ohio Supreme Court spokesman for public relations role

July 8, 2014

young.1693@osu.edu
Chris Davey is set to start at OSU Aug. 11 as the assistant vice president of media and public relations. Credit: Courtesy of Chris Davey

Chris Davey is set to start at OSU Aug. 11 as the assistant vice president of media and public relations.
Credit: Courtesy of Chris Davey

Ohio State has found its next public relations official after a roughly seven-month search.

His role will involve “enhancing Ohio State’s reputation through leadership of media strategy, planning and execution,” according to an email from Melinda Church, vice president of university communications, that OSU spokesman Gary Lewis provided to The Lantern.

Davey is set to earn a salary of $155,000, Lewis said.

Davey, an OSU alumnus in journalism and a former editor of The Lantern, is currently the director of public information at the Supreme Court of Ohio, a position he’s held since 2003. Prior to that, he worked at Ohio Dominican University and the Ohio Attorney General’s Office.

He started his career as a reporter at the Dayton Daily News and the Cincinnati Enquirer.

“OSU has been an important part of my life from an early age, and I am grateful for the opportunity to serve this institution that I love,” Davey said in an email. “It is exciting to come back at a time when Dr. Drake and the administration have big plans, and I appreciate the opportunity to be a part of it.”

The position was previously held by Gayle Saunders, who left in February after a year and a half at OSU. Her resignation was announced in December and, at the time, Church said the search for her replacement would begin immediately. Saunders earned $150,000 in the role.

Her interim replacement, Doug Haddix, an editorial assistant vice president in the department, also earned $150,000. Haddix is set to remain in the interim position until Davey’s start and then return to his role as editorial assistant vice president, Lewis said.

Logan Hickman contributed to this article.

Editor’s note: This article was updated July 8 with Chris Davey’s salary, a statement from Davey and what role Doug Haddix will move into after Davey starts.

1. Grad says:

And thus the revolving door of overpaid short term administrators continues at OSU.

2. gbroemer says:

With either the willfully blind approval or the willful ignorance of the judiciary the right has killed & stolen several of my pets and routinely shoots energy weaponry at me and my pets. Recent harm to animals include: two kittens from a pregnant stray i took in were killed a few months ago. The remaining two, just 3 months old, shake their head as government operatives shoot them with energy weaponry. They shot the eye out or removed the eye of a large really good natured stray at the port, hobbled another cat at the port, shooting it with energy weaponry, and for years routinely killed and left dead animals in my path. A few years ago one of them threatened ‘we’ll just kill a cat every so often’, in so many words. This has continued despite my calls to the police, the FBI, Congress, and my petitions in court. In the usual case, it appears that the right goes to a judicial crony for a ruling permitting them to harm animals to retaliate against me for my free speech. The federal government, the right wing in particular, interfered with my personal life and economic options for 3 decades, so their solution to my noting it is to kill animals. Makes perfect sense right? It does if you’re a sociopathic criminal, criminally stupid, and hawkish. Invariably their lies are exposed and the wrongfulness of the harm is clear to everyone, though not until the animals have been maimed or killed. There is really only one solution, and that’s to disempower them politically and to impeach them.

3. gbroemer says:

If this seems like overposting, I generally publish when I’ve been assaulted, or when my privacy is ignored, or when my cats cry out in pain by some action of government. I’ve been assaulted thousands of times over the past decade now, I’m sure that estimate is accurate….One of my cats is bleeding, hair missing from its back, and two of them actually have scabs on their back as a result of being shot with energy weaponry. According to one report this results from my publication of Ronald Reagan quotes and biographical facts, indisputable and in fact from wikipedia. The federal government of course has all the power in the world to stop it.
    Typically operating through puppets–including puppets in the judiciary–the right wing has for decades been committing crimes and trying to classify them to cover them up, a move explicitly forbidden by the Code of Federal Regulations. The right has accomplished its political objectives by presenting a fraction of the evidence to judicial officials who, having seen the pattern dozens of times before, could not help but realize that they were being presented with incomplete and inaccurate information.

4. gbroemer says:

If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth, right? the Democrats’ great accomplishment is producing the political equivalent of a Rodney King video, clearly demonstrating the lies of the right, the right Hilary Clinton correctly identified as a vast conspiracy. Confirm by examining Central District of California Cases, 01-4340, 03-9097, 08-5515, 10-5193, US Tax Court 12000-07L –though I think you want to view my US Tax Court Appeal to the 9th Circuit for a good account of their day to day assaults, a few month time slice indicative of a decade of assault, and more recently 9th Circuit case 11-56043.

5. anon says:

A Lantern alum? Interesting. Wonder if this will get the paper any more feet in the door.