Ohio State Planetarium gets new director

July 31, 2014

Hickman.201@osu.edu
Wayne Schlingman is the new director of the Ohio State Planetarium. Credit: Courtesy of OSU

Wayne Schlingman is the new director of the Ohio State Planetarium.
Credit: Courtesy of OSU

Ohio State has a new director of its planetarium.

Wayne Schlingman was announced to fill the role in a Wednesday release on an OSU website.

He was hired as the planetarium’s first official director on July 14, OSU spokeswoman Amy Murray said in an email. His annual salary is set to be $68,004.
He will replace Catherine Grier, who was hired as a postdoctoral researcher and planetarium director until a permanent search could begin following the completion of a major renovation in October 2013, Murray said. Her salary was $49,008.
Before coming to OSU, Schlingman worked at the Center for Astronomy Education at the University of Arizona where he researched the teaching and learning of general astronomy education.

His areas of expertise are astronomy education and outreach and radio astronomy and star formation in the Milky Way, the release said.

In his role at OSU, Schlingman will work with the OSU and surrounding communities, helping them take advantage of the planetarium, which recently got a $620,000 makeover.

“I am excited to begin a new journey as the planetarium director,” Schlingman said in the release. “The past eight months since the renovation have shown the incredible value of being able to use an immersive, full-dome theater for public outreach and classroom exploration. Seeing the annual attendance explode more than 10 times that of previous years is a great way to kick off the new facility and to show how great the need is for it. I look forward to continuing to grow annual attendance.”

The Ohio State Planetarium is located on the 5th floor of Smith Laboratory at 174 W. 18th Ave.

Editor’s note: This story was updated on Aug. 2, 2014, with the salary information for Schlingman and Grier. 

1. glen b says:

If this seems like overposting, I generally publish when I’ve been assaulted, or when my privacy is ignored, or when my cats cry out in pain by some action of government. I’ve been assaulted thousands of times over the past decade now, I’m sure that estimate is accurate….the other day one of my cats was bleeding, hair missing from its back, and two of them actually have scabs on their back as a result of being shot with energy weaponry. According to one report this results from my publication of Ronald Reagan quotes and biographical facts, indisputable and in fact from wikipedia. The federal government of course has all the power in the world to stop it. My tooth was knocked out in increments, over a 2 year span by energy weaponry assaults, for stating and proving the crimes committed by the federal government, absolute torture, like having a tooth drilled without novocaine for several hours.
    If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth, right? the Democrats’ great accomplishment is producing the political equivalent of a Rodney King video, clearly demonstrating the lies of the right, the right Hilary Clinton correctly identified as a vast conspiracy. Confirm by examining Central District of California Cases, 01-4340, 03-9097, 08-5515, 10-5193, US Tax Court 12000-07L –though I think you want to view my US Tax Court Appeal to the 9th Circuit for a good account of their day to day assaults, a few month time slice indicative of a decade of assault, and more recently 9th Circuit case 11-56043.