Opinion: ‘Full House’ reunion rumors everywhere you look

September 1, 2014

feeley.8@osu.edu
arts_fullhouse_cutout

Click to enlarge.

Who could forget the final emotional scene in “Full House” when Michelle got her memory back and Kimmy surprised D.J. by bringing back Steve as her date to the prom?

The sitcom ended in May 1995 after eight seasons following the Tanner family, united under one house to raise three girls after the death of the girls’ mother and their father’s, Danny Tanner’s, wife, Pam. As one of the most beloved American sitcoms of the late ‘80s and early ‘90s, audiences were brought to tears as the show came to a close.

Some people have been brought to tears again as news of a possible reunion spreads. The rumor is that John Stamos — who played Uncle Jesse Katsopolis on the show — is leading a movement to reunite most of the cast members in a reunion series with new episodes and plots.

This brings many questions to audience members and fans of the earlier series: Who is coming back? Which Olsen twin would play Michelle? Would it be as great and emotional as it used to be?

“Full House” episodes were known for confronting real-life family issues with both heart and light humor. Whether it was Kimmy busting in on Danny in the kitchen, or Uncle Jesse and his wife Rebecca (Lori Loughlin) dealing with their twins, the show almost always brought a smile to viewers’ faces. How will they keep that going?

In the last episode, we saw D.J. Tanner (Candace Cameron Bure) heading off to her prom with her best friend Kimmy Gibbler (Andrea Barber) tagging along in an electric, flashy dress complete with battery pack. Is the show planning to catch us up on D.J.’s life between then and now? Cameron-Bure is in her late 30s now.

Viewers watched D.J. grow up. We want to know what has happened to her through college and other pivotal times in a young girl’s life. I’m curious to see if the show would attempt to cover any of that time or just jump into her being married with kids somewhere and expect viewers to put it together.

Rumors of a reunion also bring up questions about the Olsen twins. Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen took turns with the role of Michelle Tanner, as the director and parents were worried about over-working the girls when they were little. They were barely more than a year old when they started the show. Since the show ended, the girls have had other acting roles and started their own fashion lines.

Bob Saget, who played Danny on the show, has said that not all of the cast members would come back. Does this mean Michelle would somehow be kept out of the scripts? Neither of the Olsen twins have been in any of the recent shots of the cast reuniting even though the other main cast members are all included.

“Full House” would not be the same without Michelle and her witty, adorable sense of humor, but would that be the same coming from a young adult version anyway?

As for now, the show coming back on air is just a rumor. However, with the response of the Internet, reports in news outlets and the commitment of a few of the main actors, it’s a real possibility we could be seeing a return sometime soon.

1. adam says:

I think full house cool to see back. There world leasons in that show. We went full house back that world be cool see.

2. Kris says:

I think it would be cool to have Full House back. I’m sitting here watching reruns (though they’re new to me cuz I’m 15). However, I think it would be rather hard to explain what all has happened to the characters in the years between. So much would be lost, their characters and personalities would be different, and it wouldn’t have the same humor it did long ago, nor the same messages.
    D.J. and Steff would have moved out, meaning there’s a good chance Jesse, Rebecca, and Joey have moved out too. That takes away the humor of 9 people trying to share the same house. That also takes away the intimacy of the family.

3. J says:

IF THEY BRING THIS SHOW BACK THEY SHOULD HAVE MICHELE AS A MOM WITH TWINS. AND THEY SHOULD BRING THIS SHOW TO A NEW AND IMPROVED TGIF W/ GIRL MEETS WORLD A NEW FAMILY MATTERS TO THE TGIF LINE UP TO DISNEY CHANNEL.

4. Carlos says:

Although Full House thought us about good morals, the importance of family unity and laughter, some things are better left back in time. Don’t get me wrong, I really liked and still watch old reruns as I was a teen when the show first aired, but it would not be the same if they bring the show back.

5. Tina says:

I think it will be nice but you forget one j says Perfect stranger it will be nice. Family matter will have to fine out what happen after the lost in space eposides’ and now it be Tgif