Miss Ohio Mackenzie Bart performs a ventriloquism act with her puppet, Roxy. Credit: Courtesy of Jay Jesensky

Miss Ohio Mackenzie Bart performs a ventriloquism act with her puppet, Roxy.
Credit: Courtesy of Jay Jesensky

Ohio State student and Miss Ohio Mackenzie Bart competed Sunday night in the 2015 Miss America Competition and made the top 10 finalists. She also received a $5,000 scholarship.

Bart and 52 other women competed throughout the week in preliminary competitions in different categories, including interview, swimwear, evening wear and talent.

“The 53 contestants (including DC, Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands) are split into three groups. Each group has a talent and a swimwear winner,” said Jay Jesensky, executive director of the Miss Ohio Scholarship Program, in an email.

Bart won the talent competition in her preliminary group, which featured her and her puppet, Roxy, singing “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” in a ventriloquism act. The talent act accounted for 30 percent of Bart’s final score in the final competition, which aired Sunday night on ABC.

Since Bart made it into the final 10 in the competition, she was able to perform her act on live television.

In addition to making the top 10, she was also one of five recipients of a $5,000 STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) scholarship.

The Miss America crown went to Miss New York Kira Kazantsev.