Home » Campus » Area » No Ohio State freshmen from Wyoming

No Ohio State freshmen from Wyoming

Click to enlarge.

Click to enlarge.

Last week, Ohio State welcomed nearly 7,000 freshman to campus from all corners of the country and in some cases, the world. There was, however, one place from which no students came — Wyoming. 

Incoming freshmen hail from 49 of the 50 states, said Vern Granger, vice president for enrollment services and director of admission.

This year, 42,790 students applied to OSU and of those, 19,459 were admitted, Granger said. From Wyoming, eight students applied, three were admitted, but none chose to go to OSU. 

“It’s common for not all the 50 states to be represented,” Granger said. In an average year, students in the freshman class come from 47-49 states, he said. 

“We are bringing in truly the best and brightest (students),” Granger said.

States that have the highest out-of-state enrollment are Illinois, Pennsylvania, New York, California and Michigan, according to OSU’s undergraduate website. 

With a university as large as OSU, some students said they were surprised that each freshman class doesn’t have representatives from all 50 states. 

Cheyenne Vanfossen, a third-year in strategic communication and sociology from West Lafayette, Ohio, said she thought OSU would have strived to have students from each state.

“With how much OSU prides itself on diversity, I would think that having all 50 states in attendance would be the crown jewel in its collection of accomplishments, admission-wise,” Vanfossen said.

But there could be other factors affecting the lack of students from states like Wyoming. According to the United States Census Bureau, Wyoming had an estimated population of more than 582,600 in 2013, with only 24.3 percent of the state having earned a bachelor’s degree or higher — compared to the national average of 28.5 percent.

With an increase of more than 7,000 applications from last year, the admission process has become very competitive, Granger said.

Based on the average ACT score of 28.8 for the freshman class, Granger said that he is “projecting that it’s one of the highest scores in history.”

According to OSU’s undergraduate admissions website, students are considered for admission based on their academic performance and other factors, including class rank and GPA, ACT and SAT scores and the “ability and desire to contribute to a diverse campus community.”

Mackenzie Lingenfelter, a first-year in biology, said she thought it was strange that her class didn’t have students from all 50 states. 

“I’m surprised because we’re supposed to be one of the most diverse (universities) and we don’t have everyone from the U.S.,” she said.

1. I am one of the three who didnt come from Wyoming. One reason, Ohio has no bears, wildlife, and I couldnt leave the potatoes next door from Idaho.

WTF this article is sad!

2. This article is a farce. As the astute academic Garfield the Cat once pointed out, Wyoming means “No State Here.” 8 students applied? No. There’s nothing and no one there. It’s all a conspiracy, I tells ya!

3. I also was the 2nd person on that diagram. I was admitted but ended up not accepting. There is too much unnecessary drama at OSU, which is why I chose Michigan state instead.

4. Why would you be reading the online newspaper of a school you declined to go to?

5. Why pay out of state tuition when you get a free ride in-state?

6. This article is so boring and pointless that I can only assume it’s satire.

7. Were you unaware of the lack of bears when you applied?

8. I am a black bear from the great state of Wyoming. Ohio State rejected my application for admission for the no-good reason that my hibernation schedule would prevent me from attending class much of spring semester. In a rage, I ate the three admits from Wyoming. If I can’t attend, then no one from Wyoming can.

Your loss Ohio State. I would have brought a new level of excitement to the Mirror Lake jump.