OSU junior back Emma Royce (27) fights for the ball during a game against Ball State on Sept. 14 at Buckeye Varsity Field. OSU won, 3-2, in overtime. Credit: Melissa Prax / Lantern photographer

OSU junior back Emma Royce (27) fights for the ball during a game against Ball State on Sept. 14 at Buckeye Varsity Field. OSU won, 3-2, in overtime.
Credit: Melissa Prax / Lantern photographer

The No. 16 Louisville Cardinals used a flurry of goals from six different players to defeat the Ohio State field hockey team, 6-3, Tuesday afternoon in Louisville, Ky.

The Cardinals (7-1) took little to no time getting on the board when sophomore midfielder Lotta Kahlert scored unassisted just 2:20 into the game.

The Buckeyes (3-5) countered less than through the opening half when freshman midfielder Morgan Kile hit senior midfielder Kaitlyn Wagner on a cross-field pass to tie the game at one.

The draw did not last for long, however. Louisville pulled back in front less than four minutes later when sophomore forward Shannon Sloss connected off a rebounded save from OSU freshman goalie Liz Tamburro.

Louisville extended its lead to 3-1 when senior forward Becca Maddock scored her seventh goal of the season off a pass from freshman forward Nicole Woods.

OSU fought back to twice make it a one-goal game. Wagner scored her second goal of the game off a penalty corner before the end of the half to make it 3-2.

With the score 4-2 early in the second half, junior forward Peanut Johnson dribbled right into the circle and shot past Louisville redshirt-junior goalkeeper Sydney King for her fourth goal of the season.

That was as close as OSU would get. Louisville extended its lead to 5-3, and then, with 13 seconds left to play, senior back Mallory Mason converted on a penalty stroke to put a seal on the game.

OSU freshman midfielder Maddy Humphrey, who was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week for the second time this season before the game, was held scoreless Tuesday after a weekend in which she tallied 11 points, including five goals and one assist. She assisted on Wagner’s second goal Tuesday against Louisville.

The Virginia Beach, Va., native notched her first career hat trick Sunday against Appalachian State.

The Buckeyes are set to host No. 10 Penn State at Buckeye Varsity Field on Sunday at 1 p.m.