OSU competes in a match against Florida Gulf Coast on Sept. 5 at St. John Arena. OSU won, 3-1. Credit: Emily Yarcusko / For the Lantern

OSU competes in a match against Florida Gulf Coast on Sept. 5 at St. John Arena. OSU won, 3-1.
Credit: Emily Yarcusko / For the Lantern

The Ohio State women’s volleyball team had it’s toughest game of the season against No. 17 Minnesota, and was unable to hang on in five sets.

The Buckeyes won the first set before losing the next two and the final frame (25-21, 23-25, 20-25, 29-27, 12-15).

In the first set, the Golden Gophers got off to a 5-2 lead, but a 11-4 run by the Buckeyes helped OSU to take the first set.

In the second set, the Gophers had all the momentum from the beginning, as they took a 7-3 lead, but the Buckeyes would rally back multiple times in the beginning of the match, before the Gophers took control after a 12-12 tie.

After intermission, the Buckeyes came out and fell victim to a Gopher 6-0 run, however the Buckeyes would come back. While they had chances to tie, they could never overcome the one-point deficit and the Gophers eventually took a 2-1 lead.

The Buckeyes found a way to win the crucial fourth set, as they survived four match points to avoid defeat and tie the match up at two apiece.

The final kill of the fourth set came from sophomore outside hitter Kylie Randall, where she was able to give the Buckeyes the only two-point lead of the set that mattered.

After coming off a set in which neither team led by more than two, the Gophers and Buckeyes continued to fight out for the final game. The Gophers would gain their largest lead of the game with their final point, winning their third and clinching set 15-12.

Three Buckeye seniors led both teams in multiple categories. Senior setter Taylor Sherwin led all players in assists with 58 and was tied for the lead in service aces with two. She also added six digs. Senior outside hitter Erin Sekinger led all players with 21 kills and added nine digs. Senior defensive specialist Alyssa Winner led all players in digs with 14.

Junior middle blocker Tyler Richardson led the team in blocks with nine. Richardson added seven kills and a block, while Randall added 10 kills and three digs.

The Buckeyes are scheduled to face No. 5 Wisconsin on Sunday. The match is set for 2 p.m.