Redshirt-freshman quarterback J.T. Barrett (16) attempts a pass to senior wide receiver Devin Smith (9) during a game against Navy Aug. 30 at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore. OSU won, 34-17. Credit: Mark Batke / Photo editor

Redshirt-freshman quarterback J.T. Barrett (16) attempts a pass to senior wide receiver Devin Smith (9) during a game against Navy Aug. 30 at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore. OSU won, 34-17.
Credit: Mark Batke / Photo editor

Just one game into his career as Ohio State’s starting quarterback, J.T. Barrett has already picked up his first Big Ten award.

The redshirt-freshman signal caller was one of two freshmen to be named Big Ten Freshman of the Week after his performance leading the Buckeyes to a 34-17 win against Navy on Saturday, according to a Big Ten release.

Barrett, a Wichita Falls, Texas, native, threw for 226 yards and completed 12 of 15 pass attempts with two touchdowns and led the team with 50 yards rushing. Of his 226 yards through the air, 80 came on one play when Barrett hit senior wide receiver Devin Smith for a touchdown that gave OSU the lead for the rest of the way.

The win against the Midshipmen marked Barrett’s collegiate debut after he redshirted last season, making it his first competitive game since his senior year of high school when he tore his anterior cruciate ligament. He took over OSU’s starting job after senior quarterback Braxton Miller tore the labrum in his throwing shoulder during fall camp.

Before Barrett, the last Buckeye to be named the Big Ten Freshman of the Week was now-sophomore H-back Dontre Wilson last season. Wilson earned the award for his part in helping OSU to a 63-14 win against Penn State on Oct. 26 at Ohio Stadium. In that game, Wilson had 96 all-purpose yards, including a 26-yard touchdown catch.

Penn State freshman wide receiver DaeSean Hamilton was the other recipient of the honor.

OSU’s next game is scheduled for Saturday against Virginia Tech at Ohio Stadium. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m.