Home » Campus » Reported rape in North Campus residence hall prompts public safety notice

Reported rape in North Campus residence hall prompts public safety notice

A rape reported in an on-campus residence hall early Sunday morning prompted a public safety notice. It’s the second time this year that an alleged rape on campus has led to a campus-wide alert.

A woman unaffiliated with Ohio State reported Sunday at about noon that a rape had occurred between 2-3 a.m. in a North Campus residence hall. The suspect was described as a 19-year-old white man, standing at about 5-feet-8-inches tall and weighing approximately 185 pounds, according to the Monday notice.

University Police Chief Paul Denton said the suspect is an OSU student, but does not live in the residence hall where the rape was reported. The suspect and the victim were “very casually acquainted,” he said in an email.

The suspect was identified and “escorted from university property by OSU police officers without incident,” Denton said.

The investigation is open and ongoing, and Denton said no further details are available.

Denton did not directly say why the notice was issued a day after the incident or what the continuing threat or concern was that prompted the notice. He instead referred The Lantern to University Police’s policy on timely warnings.

“The policy explains the variety of reasons a timely warning might be issued among them to inform, increase awareness about safety and to provide resources,” he said.

Public safety notices are issued when crimes occur that are considered to be a concern or a continuing threat to the OSU community.

In February, University Police issued a public safety notice about a rape that allegedly occurred Jan. 25 in a South Campus residence hall. That notice said recent information about the rape caused police officers to believe there was a continuing threat.

1. So now Drake need an investigation to determine its time to fire the Dean of some student affairs. There is obviously a sexualized culture that has now spread even “on campus”.

2. Jim, Sexual assault / rape is no nothing to joke about.

3. Jim, if you knew anything about OSU or even have gone here, you’d know there is no dean of student affairs. There is a VP of Student Life.

Please go comment on your real alma mater’s newspaper.

4. Jim has a point, if you’re going to fire people based on a single sexual incident, do it across all platforms. Call a spade a spade.

5. This raises so many questions.

Can we have the text of the “campus-wide alert”? Did it go to every student? With the perp identified, you’d think there wouldn’t be a continuing aspect to this incident.

On the other hand, it sounds like the suspect wasn’t arrested; so he was released, but they issued an alert a day later, presumably because they were concerned he — or the real perp — would do it again?

The student raped a non-OSU student in a dorm he didn’t live in? The alleged rape happened between 2:00 and 3:00 am yet the following afternoon (she didn’t report the rape until noon) the guy was still in the dorm — where he didn’t live?

Really strange. I assume The Lantern is trying to get some answers.

6. i dont understand why the victim decided to report a rape at noon if the incident occurred between 2-3 a.m. ?

7. Reporting a rape IMMEDIATELY after it occurs is not easy for most victims. It’s a very traumatic experience and going straight to the police can be really intimidating, especially after something that invasive and personal. She went to the police in a relatively timely manner, actually.

8. I agree with Laura. The girl’s actions make sense. The police’s actions, as reported here, don’t.
    They apprehended the suspect (not “a” suspect, but “the” suspect), who then presumably is the one confirmed to have had sex with the girl. But they let him go. If they didn’t, then why the campus-wide alert. They let him (a student, remember) go, and now they’re concerned he might attack again, I guess. If so, why didn’t they release his name and picture?
    So is there something shady going on in the dorm – that goes beyond the student-suspect?
    Really strange situation.

9. Yeah, sure..........

Thank you Jim and Randall.

No, rape is nothing to joke about but they weren’t joking about the rape. They were simply pointing out that different parts of the university have different ways of dealing with these types of incidents. The OSUMB director was fired because of a rape that occurred off campus at a party and that apparently crated a “sexualized culture”. Holding the OSUMB to a higher standard than the rest of the campus is not right.

Frankly, I think it is a crime that the government shut down their investigation of OSU because they fired the band director. Their records were so poor that the government could not even determine if all the complaints had been followed up on. And it certainly appears that the “sexualized culture” has escaped from the bandroom into the entire student population. I suppose now all dorm residents will be subjected to people coming in and telling them they are perverts and not to do that anymore.

I also question why the police escorted the suspect from OSU property, unless the woman declined to press charges.

10. “Can we have the text of the “campus-wide alert”? Did it go to every student? With the perp identified, you’d think there wouldn’t be a continuing aspect to this incident.”

Posted at the end of this post. It goes out to every student, staff, and faculty’s OSU email I believe.

The guy wasn’t arrested, but that doesn’t mean that there is no continuing aspect to this incident. It sounds like they didn’t have enough evidence to arrest him. In which case they most likely took his statement (or no comment) and then drove him home and asked him not to return until Monday. (Police are allowed to ask someone to leave an area for a limited time to deescalate a situation without needing evidence against the person).

But that means he is allowed back at a certain time, and they could still be processing the evidence against him. But right now, they have nothing to hold him on so therefore they have to release him but they want people to know that he is still walking around campus and perhaps one of the detectives has a high index of suspicion that he may have been involved in other incidents and/or will try it again (positive date-rape drug screen in the victim’s medical workup, etc).

———–

I’ve left out the usual header and footer about general safety and who to contact and only put in the middle part for brevity:

On 9/14/14 at 11:58 a.m. a female non-OSU affiliate reported that a rape occurred between the hours of 2 a.m. and 3 a.m. in the Taylor Tower residence hall. The suspect is described as a 19 year-old white male, 5 feet, 8 inches and 185 pounds. The suspect has been identified and removed from campus, and the investigation is open and ongoing.
    As always, be cautious and look out for one another. Do not prop doors open or let people in your home or residence hall who you do not know. Always lock doors and windows, and if you see someone who may need assistance, please reach out for help. If you see something suspicious, call University Police or (off-campus) Columbus Police. Always dial 9-1-1 in an emergency. Additional safety tips: http://studentlife.osu.edu/articles/safety-tips

11. If you think the OSUMB Director was fired over 1 individual thing, you are an idiot who didn’t read the entire report. “fired because of a rape that occurred off campus at a party” ? Are you brain-dead? What about the concerns made by individual band members to him in private? What about his students marching naked in practice? Is it too high of a standard to ask that they wear clothes? Yeah guys, quit being so unreasonable.

Go read the report yourself. Numerous complaints. Plenty of time to fix his mistakes. Too bad, so sad.

12. Dear confused,

Have you read at all into the marching band situation since the report came out? You really need to catch up. First of all, three of the nine witnesses came forward to say that their words were tampered with for the sake of an incriminating report. Those three witnesses had talked at length about the good things the director was doing to change the culture, and those things did not make it into the report. Also, at NO POINT in that report did it mention the band practicing naked. It mentioned the Midnight Ramp, an event that has been described as completely voluntary, and people wore nothing more risqué than what they’d see on the beach ; many chose to wear shorts and a tank top or pajamas or to just not participate; the director was going to end that tradition this year. When the rape of one member by another was reported to him, he reported it to the the administrators who proceeded to expel the perpetrator from the university after that perpetrator was kicked out of the band. Your misinterpretation of the report that has been proven flawed time and again is insulting.
    I have been very concerned that Buckeye Alerts have basically stopped. The one students received over this incident is anything but helpful. There have been numerous reports of sexual assaults on students on the other side of high street in the off-campus housing area since mid-July, and a year ago students would have received a Buckeye Alert for these incidents. The Feds need to reopen their Title IX investigation, because this campus is less of a safe place.