Home » Campus » Compliance official Chris Glaros, interim band directors garnered positive reviews

Compliance official Chris Glaros, interim band directors garnered positive reviews

Left to right: Chris Glaros, Russel Mikkelson, Scott Jones Credit: Courtesy of OSU

Left to right: Chris Glaros, Russel Mikkelson, Scott Jones
Credit: Courtesy of OSU

An Ohio State compliance official who oversaw an investigation into the marching band and two professors who are currently leading the band all have been given excellent performance reviews in the past.

Chris Glaros, assistant vice president of compliance operations and investigations, oversaw a university investigation into the OSU Marching Band that determined there was a sexualized band culture. That investigation led to then-band director Jonathan Waters’ firing in late July.

After Waters was dismissed, University Bands director Russel Mikkelson and University Bands associate director Scott Jones were named as the interim band leaders while OSU searches for new permanent leadership. The university has said it plans to name a new director by February.

Associate director Chris Hoch and assistant director Mike Smith kept their positions in the band.

The employment files of Glaros, Mikkelson and Jones — provided to The Lantern on Friday to fill records requests filed Oct. 3 and Tuesday — include reviews praising their work and records of raises they have received.

Chris Glaros

Glaros’ file includes a letter from his supervisor, chief compliance officer Gates Garrity-Rokous, dated June 27, that calls his first year’s performance “phenomenal.” Garrity-Rokous asked Glaros to do a few things in the coming year related to simplifying processes and increasing efficiency, but also noted Glaros’ publicity experience.

“Our office will have to make difficult decisions, and there will be occasions when our decisions or efforts will be misunderstood or misconstrued. You have the experience to handle adverse publicity of all kinds — but many on our team do not have that experience,” Garrity-Rokous wrote. “You will need to continue to lead by example in such situations.”

Glaros earned $204,012 last year, reflecting a 2 percent raise. He started April 1, 2013, roughly four months before he was given the raise. 

Russel Mikkelson

Mikkelson started at OSU in fall 1998. Since then, he’s been given multiple raises — most recently, he was given a $1,452 raise in August 2013, which boosted his salary to $95,004. 

His performance review in June, conducted by professor and School of Music director Richard Blatti, repeated parts of 2013’s review. Blatti said he could not “imagine our band program without (Mikkelson) at the helm” in 2013, and included that in Mikkelson’s 2014 review.

“Perhaps with regard to anyone else’s evaluation, repeating myself would be disingenuous, but it is remarkable to me how consistent and steadfast your work is!” Blatti wrote this year.

And in 2013’s review, Blatti also called Mikkelson’s work “consistent and steadfast,” noting some of his phrasing from Mikkelson’s 2012 review and, again, saying that “perhaps with regard to anyone else’s evaluation, repeating myself would be disingenuous.”

Positive reviews for Mikkelson date back several years. In the past five years alone, Mikkelson has received a raise each year.

Scott Jones

Jones started as an associate professor in the School of Music during Fall Semester 2012. The following year, he was given a $1,188 raise to a $80,688 base salary.

His review from this year, conducted by Mikkelson, noted his “resourcefulness, creativity and positive attitude” and said Jones has “made a positive impact” on his students.

The review is broken into the areas of teaching, research and creative works, and service. Mikkelson wrote in the conclusion that Jones’ work in all three areas is “active, healthy and robust.”

Other employee files

The files contrast those of some other band-related employees and officials. 

Associate director Chris Hoch’s employment file contained a 2013-14 review conducted by Waters. That review was not particularly complimentary — Waters said Hoch achieved expectations (of five possible choices, “achieves expectations” is in the middle) in four of five categories and fell below expectations in the final category, leadership.

Assistant director Mike Smith’s employment file did not contain any performance reviews — an OSU spokesman said that’s because Smith is classified as a temporary employee as a lecturer.

Waters was fired July 24. Before that, though, his work had garnered praise from his supervisors. They gave him mostly extraordinary performance reviews as he moved up through the ranks of the School of Music over the years, according to his employment file. 

One letter Blatti wrote to an OSU human resources manager in September 2011 said an evaluation of Waters seemed to convey an opinion of how Waters was performing that didn’t match up to what Blatti had seen. 

But other than that, nearly all of his reviews noted “exceptional” work that “exceeds expectations.” Waters moved from being a graduate teaching associate and lecturer in the school, to an assistant director of the band, to the interim director and finally into the director’s role starting in February 2013.

Since his dismissal, Waters and his attorney have made multiple public appearances and submitted a letter asking OSU to consider rehiring him. President Michael Drake and the Board of Trustees, however, have declined to reconsider his case.

Waters announced Sept. 26 that he plans to sue the university for a minimum of $1 million in compensatory damages. He will also seek punitive damages, attorney fees and reinstatement. His lawsuit claims he was not given due process and says he was discriminated against on the basis of gender.

Finally, the employment file of the chief compliance officer, Garrity-Rokous, showed he received a $78,000 bonus this year without a written performance review.

Chief of legal affairs Christopher Culley and chief financial officer Geoff Chatas conducted an oral review of Garrity-Rokous on Aug. 13, 2013. An OSU spokesman noted that was partly because the university was in transition.

“Although it is required for all employees to receive reviews, performance management at Ohio State also involves a continuous process of feedback and mentoring, which includes verbal and written reviews. All elements of performance review, verbal and written, are key inputs in determining compensation,” university spokesman Gary Lewis said in an email Thursday. 

“This year’s process for performance reviews of senior leaders was one in transition. Because every senior leader participates in the ongoing, annual review process, all leaders expect to receive helpful coaching and feedback.”

1. If this seems like overposting, I generally publish when I’ve been assaulted, or when my privacy is ignored, or when my cats cry out in pain by some assault of government. if you see three postings in a row, as sometimes happens, it just means i’ve been assaulted, or my cats assaulted, or my privacy invaded, three times lately. the other day it was a flash energy assault aimed at my temple/top of my head. literally thousands of such assaults over the past decade, I’m sure that estimate is accurate….the other day one of my cats was bleeding, hair missing from its back, and two of them actually had scabs and radiation bumps on their back as a result of being shot with energy weaponry. A cat that was hospitalized by energy attacks and food tampering less than a year ago was groaning in pain from energy attacks , and they’re induced to vomit constantly . for many years my cats were crying out in pain from energy attacks –several times a day over many years. they’re still being attacked, and are crawling with fleas despite the application of frontline or advantage products every few weeks–the community is actually putting bogus or weak products on the market in retaliation. they knocked one of my cats off a ledge the other day, 15 foot drop, and have induced another of my cats to run off twice, a cat that is very docile and usually doesn’t even want to go outside/agitated by being shot with energy weaponry. i contacted the aspca in 2007, and after that could only find work fundraising for abused animals, the community’s own form of symbolic punishment. not a bad job, though the idea that they manipulated my circumstance to this extent is ridiculous. My entire apt. is being heated by radiation, more than 10x the norm, causing my cats to noticeably sweat–you could probably measure it from space.
    The federal government of course has all the power in the world to stop it. My tooth was knocked out in increments, over a 2 year span by energy weaponry assaults, for stating and proving the crimes committed by the federal government, absolute torture, like having a tooth drilled without novocaine for several hours. in 1997 i was made homeless by community manipulation; in an 8 or 9 month span i had a gun to my head, was knocked out, and was intentionally run down by a car and taken by ambulance to a hospital, believe it or not, to the laughter of the community.
    the federal government has admitting to torturing, and of course that’s a per se violation of the 8th amendment, though it should also be regarded as criminal.
    If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth, right? The Democrats’ great accomplishment is producing the political equivalent of a Rodney King video, clearly demonstrating the lies of the right, the right Hilary Clinton correctly identified as a vast conspiracy. Confirm by examining Central District of California Cases, 01-4340, 03-9097, 08-5515, 10-5193, US Tax Court 12000-07L –though I think you want to view my US Tax Court Appeal to the 9th Circuit for a good account of their day to day assaults, a few month time slice indicative of a decade of assault, and more recently 9th Circuit case 11-56043.

2. So the top 2 people in compliance made close to 700,000 dollars in one year. This is absurd! They bring nothing to enhance education…when I went there the role of the university. This is all about title XI and covering the bureaucratic nightmare around it. $700,000 wow.

3. What was the bonus for?And how do you get a bonus with no review?

4. If Chris Glaros is so great at handling adverse publicity, why isn’t he making public statements about this fiasco?

5. I understand why it is this way but why isn’t there more outrage over the compensation of administrators versus those who actually teach, or even research? Want to know what college is no longer affordable?

6. What a travesty. An administrator, who earns $200K, and who authored a poorly crafted, often incorrect and largely fictitious report of the sexual culture in the band, has his performance called phenomenal by his supervisor – who earns $400K per year doing largely nothing. How much do professors and associate professors earn, by the way. We have 2 men earning $600+K whose duties are contributing exactly what to the university? Wonder how many minions they have supporting their musings?

The fact that the author of the report on the band was not summarily fired for incompetence – at least in preparing investigative reports – shows the utter incompetence of the current administration.

Why we would who choose to support the university with our financial contributions continue to do so? I, for one, will not.

7. Only in a public burocracy can people be so out of control. These administraters could never survive in the private sector. Their incompetentcy would never be tolerated. Your tax dollars at work.

8. We are living in a highly sexualized culture, and so it is with college age students. What exactly constituted citing Waters, his failure to control discrimination as the only place I see the word “sexual” in the wording of the law is in the phrase “sexual orientation”. Were there jokes, discrimination being practiced by one group of band members against others, between the band directors? Who was discriminating against whom? I don’t understand the silence on this matter. At any rate, this job isn’t worth what they’re paying Glaros to do it.

9. The wheels are coming off at Ohio State if they are praising Glaros and paying him $200K for writing that filthy report. But that’s not the only way they are wasting money. The university is paying the “task force” Betty Montgomery “heads up” nearly $900 an hour to get an OK stamp on the Glaros report! This second report was to be finished in early October, i.e., now. But,it is delayed for 4, 6 or who knows how many more weeks while they try to figure what to say the attorneys for Jon Waters won’t throw in their faces. Of course it is easy to be big spenders on the task force because it is paid for with Alumni donations. How many alumni think that is a good use of their hard earned dollars? I for one think it smells to high heaven!

10. Scott: When I was in Compliance, there were 11 “minions”.

11. Does it bother anyone other than me that only 3 out of 15 voting members of our Board of Trustees have any kind of degree from OSU? Ohio U. has a majority of alumni on their board. The U. of Cincinnati and Bowling Green have a majority of alumni on their boards. Would having such a majority offer an university people who might care a little more about the administration of that university?