Home » Sports » Ohio State athletics self-reports 8 NCAA, Big Ten rules violations in roughly 3 months

Ohio State athletics self-reports 8 NCAA, Big Ten rules violations in roughly 3 months

Click to enlarge.

Click to enlarge.

Through a roughly three-month period beginning in July, Ohio State athletics self-reported eight NCAA or Big Ten violations — including one that led to at least temporary ineligibility for student-athletes — but none involved football or men’s basketball.

The list includes self-reported violations from seven different OSU programs, with women’s rowing being the only sport to appear twice. The women’s rowing team also had multiple violations self-reported on June 12, earlier detailed in an Aug. 13 article by The Lantern.

The list of violations spans from July 3 through Sept. 15. There were two self-reported violations in July, four in August and two more up until Sept. 20.

The information was the result of a public records request for all self-reported violations from June 1 through Sept. 20, submitted by The Lantern on Sept. 23 and fulfilled Tuesday evening.

A previous records request by The Lantern showed 22 self-reported violations through the first half of the calendar year, bringing the total to 30 up until Sept. 20.

Responses to the violations from OSU included issuing letters of education to the coaching staff for teams involved with the incidents, a restriction to one program’s financial aid capacity for the 2014-15 academic year and the repayment of $28 worth of “impermissible per diem” for multiple student-athletes.

The NCAA’s response is pending for three of the violations, while it or the Big Ten either saw no need for further punishment or accepted OSU’s self-imposed punishment for four of the violations. Of the eight violations, one had brought additional action from the NCAA at the time the records were released.

Of the eight violations, the following three had financial ramifications for either the university or student-athletes.

Men’s wrestling

Financial aid overage reported Aug. 20

One member of the men’s wrestling team was given scholarship money that caused the program to go over its allotted financial aid limit for the 2013-14 season. The school imposed a financial aid penalty on the program, resulting in the loss of 3 percent of its financial aid limit for 2014-15. The NCAA accepted OSU’s self-imposed punishment.

Women’s tennis

Impermissible per diem reported Sept. 5

The OSU women’s program gave multiple members of the team “impermissible per diem” at two tennis tournaments hosted by OSU. The school declared each student-athlete who received the impermissible benefit ineligible until they paid the full value of the per diem, which was $28. Response from the NCAA was pending.

Men’s soccer

Ineligible student-athlete reported Sept. 15

A member of the OSU men’s soccer team took part in two games despite being ineligible. As a result, the school sent letters of education to each member of the athletic academic staff that discussed the rules surrounding player eligibility in relation to degree requirements. The NCAA imposed a $500 fine on OSU for each game the ineligible player took part in, totaling $1,000 in fines.

1. Nit-picking balderdash.

2. Peter Olesen Lund

Each infraction seems to be avoidable with proper and timely record keeping and attention to detail. Several individuals responsible for tracking these need to be more attentive to the detail of account disbursement and timely reviews of student academic records.

3. Many regs on their own are counter-intuitive and based on intractable problems in semi-professional sports such as football and basketball and have little to do with sports like wrestling and rowing, where there are mostly high functioning students. On the whole, NCAA regs are so onerous and difficult to manage, that for a department like Ohio State’s to self report just 8 in this time period indicate that coaches are probably not self-reporting. And who can blame them? If a fresh assistant coach, new to the ranks, makes very minor infraction it counts against the head coach and when enough of these mount up, the head coach can get punished, even fired. It can ruin a career. So if no-one would otherwise know, why self report? In a Big-10 coaching staff, there is probably one a day.

NCAA regs are overbearing because of the big money sports and what it takes to win and to run a profit. But that horse left the barn in the 1920’s.

So glad I am not an NCAA coach.

4. But yet Jameis Winston is a Heisman holder who steals crabs etc…..hahahahaha NCAA is a joke.