Home » Campus » Area » Ohio State student tackled on field suspended from scholars program

Ohio State student tackled on field suspended from scholars program

Ohio Stadium event staff escort away Anthony Wunder, a fourth-year in mechanical engineering, who attempted to rush onto the field during a game against Cincinnati on Sept. 27. OSU won, 50-28. Credit: Mark Batke / Photo editor

Ohio Stadium event staff escort away Anthony Wunder, an OSU student in mechanical engineering, who attempted to rush onto the field during a game against Cincinnati on Sept. 27. OSU won, 50-28. Credit: Mark Batke / Photo editor

The Ohio State student who bolted on the football field during a second-quarter play during the Cincinnati game Saturday faces punishment from his scholars program in addition to criminal charges from the state.

Anthony James Wunder has not lost his full-ride scholarship yet, but he has been suspended from the Evans Scholars Program and was also removed from the off-campus scholars house where he’d been living, his attorney said Wednesday.

Despite those ramifications from his program, the 21-year-old mechanical engineering student is still enrolled in classes at OSU.

“He’s still going to class every day and he works part-time,” attorney Mark Collins said of his client. “Right now he’s just trying to get through the day-to-day.”

Wunder is charged with criminal trespassing for his Saturday night escapade where he ran on the field before being tackled by assistant strength and conditioning coach Anthony Schlegel.

Collins said he’s only concentrating on the criminal trespassing charge currently.

“My focus is to resolve the criminal case and then whatever route he chooses,” Collins said.

Collins entered a not guilty plea to the criminal trespassing charge on behalf of his client Tuesday morning in court.

The attorney said he has not been in contact with the university and is not looking to file charges against Schlegel or handle any civil suits at the moment.

“Right now, we’re just exploring different avenues,” Collins said.

Wunder’s name is no longer listed among the scholars on the program’s website.

The Evans Scholars Program offers private scholarships to “deserving caddies across the country,” according to the Western Golf Association website. It is not an OSU-affiliated scholarship, OSU Student Life spokesman Dave Isaacs said.

The case will next be assigned to a Franklin County Municipal Court judge, Collins said. A pre-trial date has not been set yet.

1. So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I’m a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald… striking. So, I’m on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one — big hitter, the Lama — long, into a ten-thousand foot crevice, right at the base of this glacier. And do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga…gunga — gunga galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he’s gonna stiff me. And I say, “Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know.” And he says, “Oh, uh, there won’t be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consiousness.” So I got that goin’ for me, which is nice.

2. Any actual football player can pretty much get away with whatever they want OFF the field.

3. Love it Meanwhile. If Spence can take Molly and keep his scholarship then this kid sure should. I say they should have his ass picking up trash in the stadium for the rest of the season.

4. Cut the kid a break! Who in college or in life for that matter has never made a mistake? He hurt no one but himself and gave us all a little entertainment. If he killed,raped,stole etc I can see being booted out of the scholars program but for this? He should have to pay a fine and do some community service but that’s it. Maybe enroll in an alcohol abuse program. His life should not be ruined over this. The fact that it’s gone this far shows how paranoid and out of control as a society we are. Is he going to be on the TSA no-fly list next?

5. Another case of over reaction. The kid definitely screwed up and should be punished somehow, but all of these criminal charges and being kicked out of his dorm? C’mon Man! It was probably the same people who kicked him out of his dorm that put him up to it. I like the idea of picking up trash in the stadium – maybe clean a few overflowed toilets. Don’t ruin the kids future because he did something stupid which didn’t hurt anyone, didn’t affect anyone and quite frankly added a little entertainment. Everybody already knows he’s not the brightest bulb in the room by the video that went viral. Schlegel did the right thing by taking quick action and I’m guessing he’s worried that Saul Goodman will think up some trumped up charge that will waste more of the taxpayers money and waste the time of the courts. I’m curious why he did it in the first place. What’s the bet that he made – who are his scholar compatriates who probably egged him on.

6. Good ideas, Mike & Terry: OSU should let Tony off the hook with a slap on the wrist for his youthful indiscretion while at the same time signaling to every other drunk knucklehead that there is little consequence to running onto the field during a game.

7. Do that at any other stadium, especially English Premier League venues, and you will receive a lifetime ban. If he is a student season ticket holder, his tickets should be revoked and ineligible for alumni tickets/future season tickets.

As a full ride scholar, you need to think about your actions. Its pretty clear what you can and can’t do with the student/academic code of conduct. There should be some community service and severe academic probation. Not sure expulsion is totally warranted but it may prove difficult for him to continue without scholarship assistance.

8. Talk about “overkill”! Cut the guy some slack–this isn’t Hong Kong!

9. Ridiculous over reaction! Cut the guy some slack–this isn’t Hong Kong!

10. What is happening is fair. Every person that runs onto the field faces criminal charges and you can’t say it’s an over reaction. And as far as the scholarship goes, from the sounds of it, it has nothing to do with OSU. But instead, from the Evans Scholar Program, since the article said, “not an OSU-affiliated scholarship.” Therefore, if this program feels like he is not living up to their standards, they have the right to pull his scholarship. It is a privilege to have that scholarship, not a right.

11. Carl Spacker ( first comment above) either ate some active mushrooms, crawled into Kurt Vonnegut’s head, or is processing reality in a different dimension. Sort of enjoyed his comment and reflection, but still have not grasped the relevancy. Possibly it should be written in graffiti somewhere under a bridge. Gunga galunga Carl !! You da man !! Soooo .. how about a game of soft spaghetti space balls in the fifth dimension on the edge of no where ?

See you there – or maybe you were seen there is more accurate.

Chow gunga

12. License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit – ever. They’re like the Viet Cong – Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior firepower and superior intelligence. And that’s all she wrote.

13. Well we do warn our fun loving free spirited college kids one day a mistake will cost you the rest of your life!!!! Better he learns this lesson now then have a wife and family gets fired kills whole family………

14. Pop culture called...

frank: Carl Spackler is a character in a very popular movie released on 1980 called Caddyshack. It’s a highly quoted movie. I assume you’ve never seen it before, otherwise, you would have quickly picked up on the poster’s name and the wonderfully apropos quote from the movie. BTW, don’t waste you time on Caddyshack II. It’s horrible!

Carl, well done on your posts!

15. I don’t think his life will be “ruined”. It is my understanding that he is a 4th year, so at worst he will end up borrowing 1 years’ tuition, less than many who know how to behave. To be chosen for any of the Scholars programs you have to be a top-notch student who exemplifies top-notch behavior. He blew it. If he is expelled he can finish elsewhere. As for the charges, I would expect a fine and no jail time.

16. I have to laugh, because I’ve outsmarted even myself. My enemy, my foe, is an animal. In order to conquer the animal, I have to learn to think like an animal. And, whenever possible, to look like one. I’ve gotta get inside this guy’s pelt and crawl around for a few days. Who’s the gopher’s ally? His friends. The harmless squirrel and the friendly rabbit.

17. I can’t believe how trivial Ohio State has become. It’s a trend throughout the United States where any action that aggravates the rich, powerful state institutions is met with unbalanced, unreasonable punishment. It was a simple prank of a fan that got a “LITTLE” out of hand. God help us from the totalitarian police state taking over our country. This change is being led by the higher learning institutions of the world under direction from the extremely rich sponsors of the police state. Their goal? To scare people to the point that they no longer are able to speak freely or demonstrate.
    This kids offense was insignificant and the punishment is barbaric. To take away a young mans future, his education and self respect just so the powers to be at Ohio State can feel big and powerful and in control. They love to demonstrate that what they say is law and that they have power over peoples lives. Their power is an illusion that can end in a microsecond.

Some day someone will teach these old, scared, bed wetting losers what it is like to be really scared. At least I am comforted by the fact that the majority of them are very close to their end of term as a living human being. The hand of God or Death doesn’t care about tenure and all you will leave behind is a faded memory of cruel, vindictive, scared socialist men and women. Barely human and cared more about money and perception than doing what is right. I pity their children. I wonder how many of their own children have rejected them. How many of them have been convicted of a crime. How many of them are drunks or drug abusers that have that have one or more DUI’s. I look forward to the day when they are treated the same way by the final judge.

I never comment on new articles but this one really makes me mad. If anyone has any dirt on those persecuting this young man, how about posting it everywhere to show what a bunch of hypocrites they are.

Our country is getting really messed up. It’s time for me to start speaking out about the incredible injustice of “zero tolerance”

18. Daniel, just wait until it happens to you. Living like a lemming with out freedom of expression and free will is against the natural state of free men. It is the state of haters, socialists, communists and sheep.

19. Pay no attention to that bush, moving around over there by that tree, it’s just a bush. Nothing to look twice at. Nothing to be alarmed about. This looks like it could be gravy. I smell varmint poontang, and the only good varmint poontang is dead varmint poontang. Freeze gopher!

20. I’m going to rest easy now that I know MRB has finally decided to speak out on social injustice by posting anonymous comments in the local school online newspaper. I wonder how Beijing will react.

21. Check me if I’m wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they’re gonna lock me up and throw away the key…

22. my understanding is that the penalty for this young man was excessive, possibly amounting to thousands of dollars. Sure, the kid was a knucklehead, undoubtedly drunk and should have known better.

A 500 dollar fine would have gotten his attention and settled the matter. But the action taken probably threatens his ability to continue on at the university. This is outrageously wrong. These folks have to get it right.

23. This crowd has gone deathly silent, the Cinderella story, outta no where, a former greenskeeper now – about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac – It’s in the Hole!