Home » Campus » Ohio State to have fall break, pending Board approval

Ohio State to have fall break, pending Board approval

Click to enlarge.

Click to enlarge.

Ohio State is set to get a fall break, after getting approval from University Senate on Thursday.

The proposal will require formal approval from the Board of Trustees, but University Senate secretary and professor in the School of Music Tim Gerber said he doesn’t “expect any bumps in the road,” especially because it has “such strong presidential support” from President Michael Drake.

Pending Board approval, the break will begin during 2015-16 school year, Gerber said in an email.

When implemented, there will be no classes on Thursday and Friday during a week in mid-October, creating a four-day weekend. Those two classes days will not be university holidays however.

The number of course days will be retained by adding an additional to both the beginning and end of the semester. This will put the last final exam day on a Thursday, and the first day of class on a Tuesday, shortening Welcome Week.

But Welcome Week organizers have been part of the discussions and have OK’d the proposal, said Mark Rudoff, chair of the senate’s council on enrollment and student progress and an associate professor in the School of Music.

The lengthened fall term, as a result of the switch from quarters to semesters, necessitated the need for the break, Rudoff said. He also noted the break will bring OSU in line with other universities where such a break is common.

1. pinch me, I must be dreaming

2. Why can’t the staff get a “fall break” also? You know the professors will take the time off. This is so unfair to all the hardworking staff of this University. Why don’t you give us a BREAK too?

3. These reforms by Michael Drake are just brilliant. Cut a day off summer break so students can earn just a little less to put toward their exorbitant tuition, covering Drake’s exorbitant salary.

I hope they leave the dorms and dining halls open, so that’s not yet another expense to be borne by students. It sounds like they will, if the staff is staying.

4. Another useless and annoying “innovation” from Team Stupid. All this does is trim a day from summer break and push finals closer to Christmas…and for what? A tiny extended weekend that no one really needs or wants. And if you teach on a TTH schedule, you probably won’t even get any time off.

If I was younger I’d quick Ohio Stupid University.

5. to dain: I hope you’d check out the other universities (assuming you’d quit to go to one) before you went, since their Team Stupids are likely just as bad or worse. If that’s any consolation.

6. What is the point of this???? Don’t students and staff both get a four day weekend in November????

7. Hey Brian – did you read the article? This “break” would be in mid-OCTOBER, not at Thanksgiving. Duh.

8. ‘not fair’ – two things: a. the faculty and staff do get a ‘break’ with minor exceptions depending on which ‘staff’ you’re referring to. Faculty get the same breaks students do, b. I think the point of Brian’s comment was Thanksgiving is already a four day weekend so why another one just a month earlier. The article is correct though – there is a small break in October for must semester universities. Usually Columbus Day weekend.

9. Membuckeye – I’m talking about the peons, the ones who do the MOST work. No staff at this university get breaks unless they take vacation time, so don’t tell me “faculty and staff do get a “break”. The only “staff” that would be are A/P and faculty. Definitely not CCS. I’ve worked here for over 17 years, and we’ve never gotten a spring/fall/christmas or any other “BREAK” unless we use vacation. Don’t know what “staff” you’re talking about.

10. Why are they doing this?

11. Not Fair – I am A&P staff and I do not get any extra “breaks”, just my vacation. Although I do not complete a timesheet, I am required to be at work. I do understand where you are coming from but I know many of the faculty in my college lose their vacation every year because they cannot take that much time away from their teaching responsibilities.