Then-freshman Nichelle Prince (7) avoids a defender during a game against Pittsburgh Aug. 28, 2013. OSU won 2-0.  Credit: Lantern file photo

Then-freshman Nichelle Prince (7) avoids a defender during a game against Pittsburgh Aug. 28, 2013. OSU won 2-0.
Credit: Lantern file photo

With time running out, the Ohio State women’s soccer team made a big play at the end of regulation to tie with No. 24 Michigan.

There wasn’t a lot of action in the first half as neither team was able to get much going. Both sides were unable to convert on opportunities as the match entered halftime scoreless.

The Wolverines held an 8-4 lead in shots and 3-1 lead in shots on goal for the first half.

Sophomore forward Nichelle Prince gave the Buckeyes a chance to take the lead in the 63rd minute but freshman goalkeeper Megan Hinz made a diving save to keep the score tied.

Sophomore forward Nicky Waldeck gave the Wolverines the lead in the 70th minute with a header off a corner kick from freshman forward Taylor Timko.

OSU responded with a header from senior midfielder Ellyn Gruber off a cross from senior forward Kayla Varner in the 75th minute to tie the game.

With two minutes remaining, Varner had a chance to give the Buckeyes the lead with a header but the shot was saved by Hinz to keep the game tied.

In the final minute, freshman forward Danielle Hogarth gave the Wolverines the lead with a header off a cross from sophomore midfielder Anna Soccorsi.

Just a few seconds later, sophomore defender Nicole Miyashiro tied the game again off an assist from freshman forward Sammy Edwards. The late goal was the last of regulation, sending the game into overtime with the score tied, 2-2.

Michigan ended regulation with a 22-18 lead in shots while both teams managed seven shots on goal.

Redshirt-freshman midfielder Ani Sarkisian gave Michigan a shot in the 93rd minute but redshirt-freshman goalkeeper Megan Geldernick was there to make the save.

Both teams were unable to score and so the game was sent into a second overtime.

Both teams struggled for chances in the second overtime, but sophomore midfielder Jessica Heifetz had a chance to give the Wolverines the win in the 107th minute but Geldernick was able to make another save for OSU.

The rest of overtime played out and the game ended in a 2-2 draw.

OSU moved to 5-8-3 overall and 2-5-3 in the Big Ten. The Buckeyes also handed Michigan (11-4-1, 7-2-1) its first draw of the season.

Up next, the Buckeyes are scheduled to face Iowa on Friday at 7 p.m. at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium and Nebraska on Sunday at 1 p.m.