Then-OSU freshman forward Nichelle Prince makes a pass during a game against Eastern Michigan Aug. 25, 2013. OSU won 2-1 in OT.  Credit: Lantern file photo

Then-OSU freshman forward Nichelle Prince makes a pass during a game against Eastern Michigan Aug. 25, 2013. OSU won 2-1 in OT.
Credit: Lantern file photo

In a hectic final minute of play, the Ohio State women’s soccer team suffered a heartbreaking loss against Michigan State, 2-1, on Thursday.

The Spartans got on the board during the opening minute of the game after junior forward Allyson Krause put in a rebound that slipped past the hands of redshirt-freshman goalkeeper Megan Geldernick.

OSU tried to respond in the 19th minute with a strike from freshman midfielder Nikki Walts but redshirt-senior goalkeeper Courtney Clem made a diving save to maintain the lead. The Buckeyes came close again in the 43rd when junior forward Katelyn Kraft missed a 15-yard shot wide left.

Michigan State held on to enter halftime with a 1-0 lead. The Spartans also held a 10-9 lead in shots while the Buckeyes had a 5-3 lead in shots on goal.

OSU came into the second half looking to tie the score but struggled against the Michigan State defense. Sophomore forward Nichelle Prince almost tied the game in the 75th minute but Clem deflected it off the crossbar.

In the final minute, a foul against the Spartans gave the Buckeyes a chance with a penalty kick. Senior forward Kayla Varner struck the ball past Clem to even the game, 1-1.

Seconds later, senior forward Paige Wester stunned the Buckeyes with a header off a cross from freshman forward Jamie Cheslik. The last-minute shot gave Michigan State the 2-1 victory.

OSU ended the game leading 18-17 in shot attempts and 10-5 in shots on goal. The team fell to 5-8-2 overall and 2-5-2 in Big Ten play.

Up next for the Buckeyes is a trip to play against No. 24 Michigan.

“Obviously we always want to win the Michigan game,” freshman midfielder Sydney Dudley said. “It would be a big momentum booster and also just get our mentality right.”

The team is looking forward to the game for the atmosphere surrounding the rivalry and will try to avenge a 2-0 loss against the Wolverines from last season, senior midfielder Ellyn Gruber said.

“It’s always fun playing Michigan,” Gruber said. “It’s a good environment there and there’ll be a lot of fans and it’ll be fun.”

“It’d be a nice little revenge after losing to them there last year,” Varner said. “It’d be nice to go into their home stadium and beat them.”

“We thought that we were done with our season after that so that feeling we do not want again,” Gruber added.

The Buckeyes are scheduled to take on the Wolverines on Sunday at 2 p.m. in Ann Arbor, Mich.