Home » Campus » Area » Carmen restoration about halfway complete

Carmen restoration about halfway complete

Carmen is roughly half of the way back to being operational.

Its restoration was 52 percent complete as of 4 p.m. Tuesday, according to a release from the Office of the Chief Information Officer.

Carmen went down early Sunday morning after a routine maintenance task that sought to add to the interface’s storage space led to an error and an old version of the site needed to be restored. The initial release stated in a worst case scenario, it would take two to four days to get Carmen running again.

Katharine Keune, a spokeswoman for the OCIO, said in an email Monday that the office tries to estimate the amount of space Carmen will need before the beginning of the semester, but found last week it had underestimated. She said the growth of digital scholarships and distance education courses took up more space than expected.

The office has released ways to work around the Carmen outage for professors while the website is down, including using Box, Excel and email. It noted, however, there’s no quality alternative to Carmen quizzes.

Clarification Nov. 12, 2014

An earlier version of this story incorrectly said the Office of the Chief Information Officer recommends professors work around the Carmen outage by using Dropbox, when in fact, the OCIO recommends using Box. Dropbox is a feature of Carmen that is currently unavailable while Box is a separate website that offers free cloud storage and file sharing services.  

1. Somebody needs to get fired for this. This would be unacceptable in any respectable organization.

2. Here's a random fact.

this happened to the people at Pixar. They accidentally deleted Toy Story days before it was set to premiere. Luckily someone had a backup at home.

3. Just put it out of its misery already.

4. Incompetence at every level. Inexcusable. Will heads roll? Likely not.

5. maphi8 — Someone needs to be fired for making a mistake? Yes, it’s a significant mistake, but considering how incredibly difficult it is to manage databases, I don’t think this situation warrants the disrespect everyone is showing for the IT department.

If the school feels uncomfortable with this system moving forward, I trust they’ll give their business to a different company.