While many Ohio State students take pride in the Mirror Lake jump in anticipation of Saturday’s football game against Michigan, others choose to stay inside and craft with their Buckeye pride in mind. 

On Sunday, OSU football fans gathered in the Archie Griffin Grand Ballroom West at the Ohio Union to attend the Beat Michigan Craft Night, an Ohio Union Activities Board-sponsored event.

The craft night had a great turnout, said Gabby Palombaro, special events chair and a third-year in integrated language arts and English education. 

Admission was free and open to the public.

“We invest a lot of time in creating extraordinary experiences such as these for the students here at Ohio State,” Palombaro said in an email. “And Beat Michigan Craft Night is one of those staple experiences.”

The room was packed – some event-goers were even sitting on the floor crafting with friends, as every chair was occupied. 

Among a wide variety of crafting materials available, individuals had the option of painting Block “O”s, decorating mason jars and T-shirts and creating buckeye necklaces and bows.

Drinks and snacks were also provided out of the student activity fee.

“This night gives everyone a chance to celebrate school spirit,” Palombaro said.

Hanna Norris, a third-year in actuarial science, said she enjoyed the event overall.

“I just wish we had gotten here sooner,” Norris said. “If we do this again, we’ll get here on time. It was really fun and there was the potential to make some great crafts, but it just wasn’t laid out well enough.” 

Kristen McMaster, a third-year in actuarial science and finance, agreed with Norris.

“I came to this event my freshman year and it was much smaller – I think it was in the basement,” she said. “It has been fun, but we actually ran out of paint, so I’ve been mixing colors together to make gray. We even ran out of red.”

Compared to other OSU traditions centered on Saturday’s game, Beat Michigan Craft Night seemed to provide a relaxed, stress-free evening for its attendees. 

“Thanks to the Buckeye pride of our students, Beat Michigan Craft Night 2014 was a success,” Palombaro said.