The eight names and numbers hanging up at Ohio Stadium honoring five Heisman Trophy winners and two OSU greats. Credit: Hayden Grove

With the names Ohio State’s first five Heisman Trophy winners already on display at Ohio Stadium, the school is set to honor its most recent winner during the Buckeyes’ regular-season finale.

Former OSU quarterback and 2006 Heisman Trophy winner Troy Smith and his No. 10 will be honored during halftime of the Nov. 29 contest between OSU and Michigan, OSU announced in a press release Saturday.

Smith is set to join former OSU football players Les Horvath, Eddie George, Vic Janowicz, Howard “Hopalong” Cassady, Archie Griffin, Chic Harley and Bill Willis as the only Buckeyes in the history of the program to have their names and numbers displayed at Ohio Stadium.

“Being recognized like this from such a prestigious university like The Ohio State University usually doesn’t happen until later years down the line, so this is a special time in my life and an important time,” Smith said in the release.

OSU vice president and athletic director Gene Smith said that the accomplishments of No. 10 throughout his career merited this recognition.

“It’s time to honor one of our all-time greats. Troy’s playing days are over,” Smith said in a statement. “His accomplishments and achievements are legendary. And we are so proud to be able to recognize this young man by honoring his name and number in Ohio Stadium.”

Smith’s nine total touchdowns, 857 total yards and 3-0 record against Michigan are amongst the best numbers for any OSU quarterback against the Wolverines.

Smith’s No. 10 is currently worn by freshman defensive lineman Jalyn Holmes. He will continue to wear that number throughout his career, as OSU has made the decision to no longer take jersey numbers out of circulation in any sport when they are honored, according to the release.

The release added that the 18 numbers already retired by OSU will remain retired going forward.

OSU is scheduled to play Indiana on Saturday at noon at Ohio Stadium before taking on the Wolverines next weekend.