Redshirt-freshman quarterback J.T. Barrett (16) runs the ball during a game against Minnesota on Nov. 15 in Minneapolis. OSU won, 31-24. Credit: Mark Batke / Photo editor

Redshirt-freshman quarterback J.T. Barrett (16) runs the ball during a game against Minnesota on Nov. 15 in Minneapolis. OSU won, 31-24.
Credit: Mark Batke / Photo editor

Ohio State redshirt-freshman quarterback J.T. Barrett set three program records against Minnesota on Saturday, then tied a Big Ten mark Monday.

The conference announced Monday morning that Barrett had been named the Big Ten Freshman of the Week for the sixth time this season, tying former Illinois quarterback Nathan Scheelhaase who won the award six times in 2010.

The Rider High School product set school records for the longest run by a quarterback (86 yards), the most single game rushing yards by a quarterback (189 yards) and the most total touchdowns in a season (37) during the Buckeyes’ 31-24 win against the Golden Gophers. Currently injured senior quarterback Braxton Miller previously held all three records.

Against Minnesota, Barrett finished 15 of 25 on pass attempts for 200 yards and racked up 189 yards of total offense to go with four total touchdowns. His third-quarter scoring toss to redshirt-sophomore wide receiver Michael Thomas gave him the total touchdowns records, while a first-quarter 86-yard touchdown run moved him past Miller’s old mark of 81 yards.

A fourth-quarter touchdown pass to senior wide receiver Evan Spencer also moved the Wichita Falls, Texas, native within one of Troy Smith’s school record of 30 touchdown passes in a season, set during his Heisman Trophy winning season in 2006.

On top of his six freshman of the week awards, Barrett has also earned Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week honors three times.

Through 10 games as the starter, Barrett has totaled 2,356 passing yards and 29 touchdowns compared to eight interceptions. He’s also second on the team with 771 rushing yards and first among OSU players with nine rushing touchdowns.

Barrett and the Buckeyes are scheduled to return to the field on Saturday against Indiana at Ohio Stadium. Kickoff is set for noon.