Then-sophomore defensive lineman Noah Spence (8) tackles Penn State then-freshman quarterback Christian Hackenberg during a game at Ohio Stadium on Oct. 26. OSU won, 63-14. Credit: Lantern file photo

Then-sophomore defensive lineman Noah Spence (8) tackles Penn State then-freshman quarterback Christian Hackenberg during a game at Ohio Stadium on Oct. 26. OSU won, 63-14.
Credit: Lantern file photo

Noah Spence’s career as an Ohio State Buckeye has officially ended.

After multiple failed drug tests stemming from the end of the 2013 season to September, former OSU defensive end Spence has been ruled permanently ineligible for athletic competition by the Big Ten Conference, OSU vice president and athletic director Gene Smith said in a released statement Tuesday night.

Smith said that Spence appealed his permanent ineligibility, but was ultimately denied.

“The Ohio State University Department of Athletics had assisted Noah and his family leading up to an appeals process that took place today,” Smith said.

“While we are disappointed in the outcome, we are pleased that Noah has come a long way and we are very proud of the progress he has made with regard to his health,” Smith said. “The Department of Athletics will continue to assist Noah through his pursuits and provide the academic resources necessary to help him complete his degree program.”

OSU junior defensive lineman Noah Spence walks out of the team's fall camp hotel, the Hyatt Place Columbus on Yard Strett, Aug. 7. Credit: Tim Moody / Sports editor

Noah Spence walks out of OSU’s fall camp hotel Aug. 7.
Credit: Tim Moody / Sports editor

In the minutes following the news, Spence tweeted from his Twitter account, @nspence94:

Spence, a native of Harrisburg, Pa., was originally suspended following a failed drug test for ecstasy prior to OSU’s matchup with Clemson in the 2013 Orange Bowl. That failed drug test resulted in a three-game suspension for Spence, but prior to his scheduled return to the Buckeyes in September, Spence failed a second drug test, this one resulting in an indefinite suspension.

Spence did not immediately respond to an email requesting comment Tuesday evening. Smith declined further comment on the suspension.

The Buckeyes are set to close the 2014 regular season against Michigan this Saturday at Ohio Stadium. Kickoff is set for noon.