Home » Opinion » Opinion: F-Bombs for Feminism video raises awareness in wrong way

Opinion: F-Bombs for Feminism video raises awareness in wrong way

The F-Bombs for Feminism video on the FCKH8 website Credit: Screenshot of FCKH8.com

The F-Bombs for Feminism video on the FCKH8 website
Credit: Screenshot of FCKH8.com

F-Bombs For Feminism by clothing company FCKH8 — a video of little girls in princess costumes yelling profane words and talking about equal pay, rape and physical appearance to spread word about gender equality — has been the recent hype on Facebook.

Many people are empowered by this video. They think that it is sending a great message — people care more about little girls swearing than they do about the female race being treated unequally in society.

However, there’s never a time when it is acceptable for little girls to be swearing. I understand that they’re trying to prove it will upset viewers, but these girls are young and should not be exposed to such inappropriate language.

Take into consideration other organizations like United Nations Women. UN Women is a global campaign for gender equality that goes about spreading awareness in a more mature and appropriate manner. For example, Nicole Kidman is a UN Women Goodwill Ambassador, and the group has launched advisory groups in several countries to spread the word.

FCKH8 also has these young girls talking about rape.

Rape is a sensitive yet important topic to be informed on, regardless of age, gender or culture. It’s a daunting concept that people ought to be aware of, but young girls who don’t understand what sex is shouldn’t be the ones expected to spread the facts.

The organization Equality Now has a campaign that you might be familiar with, #BringBackOurGirls, which takes action trying to bring back the Chibok, Borno State, Nigeria, school girls who were abducted. 

Rather than having videos of girls yelling about rape, the organization has made global protests and campaigns and has had people around the world spreading the word and awareness — an effective technique seeing as many people know what #BringBackOurGirls is about.

And lastly, if you feel strongly about gender equality and want to make a donation, you should be aware that FCKH8 is a for-profit T-shirt company. This video that exploits these young girls is being used more as a commercial means to sell their product.

Some of FCKH8’s anti-sexism T-shirts Credit: Screenshot of FCKH8.com

Some of FCKH8’s anti-sexism T-shirts
Credit: Screenshot of FCKH8.com

This being said, the T-shirt that you purchase through their website benefits their company and production. You’re not donating to the cause or helping the issue of gender equality. It’s essentially a for-profit organization with a nonprofit message.

The video says, though, that $5 from each shirt goes toward charities that fight for equal rights

Do you want to wear your beliefs of sexism on your shirt? Check out the apparel offered through fully nonprofit organizations, ones that even had the slogans on their shirts before FCKH8 came around. 

You can voice your opinion and donate to the cause by purchasing through companies like Feminist Apparel and Feminist Majority Foundation. 

By no means am I against gender equality, and I think that should be made clear. I fully support organizations like UN Women and Equality Now that are looking to make changes around to make our world a safe living environment for the female race.

However, I don’t support young girls swearing and talking about rape freely. And I don’t support making these children discuss such topics to not necessarily prove a point and promote gender equality, but to sell a T-shirt so a company can make money.

1. I think the idea is to juxtapose the two situations. We teach our children the importance of recognizing and rejecting offensive language instead of the other matters that are expressed in the video (pay inequality, rape, sexism). It’s provocative and has started many conversations which I think was the hope (along with selling many t-shirts which I’m glad you pointed out). I wasn’t upset about the language used in the video, but I do think it works to try to champion educating one idea over another when both ideas are important. Education should extend to all of these matters.

I, myself, curse more than my mother would like but I am aware of the perceptions that utilizing such language will inevitably give to others and how damaging those perceptions can be to ones reputation.

As far as young girls discussing rape and sexual harassment goes, I don’t think you’re ever too young to know about the real dangers of the world, no matter how uncomfortable that conversation might be. My mother had discussed such matters with me at a very young age and my knowledge and awareness of them, has never been detrimental.

I read an article the other day that I thought kind of spoke to the phenomenon of these sort of videos, it’s worth a read: http://sexualintelligence.wordpress.com/2014/11/02/bad-categories-prevent-smart-conversations/

Anyway, good article. Being part of the discussion is beneficial for everyone involved.

2. Thank you! This perfectly sums up my feelings about FKH8 and this viral video people keep posting. All for the cause, but it’s possible to do so in a manner which isn’t for profit and doesn’t exploit young girls.

3. Don't Let Up Lantern

Feminists are brain damaged.

4. Recent Buckeye Alum

I wouldn’t say that feminists are brain damaged, but as a female myself, I think contemporary feminism can be pretty misguided. I can understand the push for fair pay, but I think that issues regarding rape are ultimately solved with the practice of chastity before and outside of marriage. This goes for both men and women.