Ohio State senior quarterback Braxton Miller intends to return to the Buckeyes next season, his father said, according to a Friday article in The Columbus Dispatch.

“Unless something drastic changes, that’s his plan, that’s why he went to Ohio State,” Kevin Miller said, according to The Dispatch. “He loves Ohio State. So right now that’s what the plan is, to come back and do whatever he can do to help the team make it to the playoffs again next year and win the title.”

Braxton Miller was widely considered to be a Heisman Trophy candidate coming into the season, but tore the labrum in his throwing shoulder during fall camp. The injury ruled him out for the season, paving the way for redshirt-freshman quarterback J.T. Barrett to become a Heisman hopeful as well.

Braxton Miller took a redshirt this season after starting 34 games through his first three seasons at OSU. He has career totals of 5,292 passing yards with 52 touchdowns and 17 interceptions while he has run for 3,054 yards and another 32 scores.

The Huber Heights native is on track to graduate Dec. 21, meaning he can either return to OSU, declare for the NFL Draft or transfer to another school for next season. Since he will have a degree in hand, he would not have to sit out for a season under the NCAA’s transfer policy.

After initially injuring his shoulder on Aug. 18, Braxton Miller said in an OSU release on Aug. 19 that he planned to return to OSU after sitting out the 2014 season.

“I love Ohio State and Buckeye nation, and my goal is to come back from this injury stronger and better than ever,” he said in the release. “I am on course to graduate in December and I want to attend graduate school, and then return to lead the Buckeyes next season. In the meantime, I want to give all the support I can to my coaches and teammates as they chase the championship this season.”

In late September, coach Urban Meyer committed to Braxton Miller as the Buckeyes’ quarterback for 2015.

“Braxton is our quarterback,” he said. “To be fair to Braxton, Big Ten Player of the Year.”

At the time, Meyer said it was “good to know” OSU had both Braxton Miller and Barrett on the roster, but later in the season he opened up the idea of a competition between the two players next year.

An OSU spokesman did not immediately return a request for comment.

After leading the Buckeyes to a 10-1 record through 11 games, Barrett fractured his ankle, paving the way for redshirt-sophomore quarterback Cardale Jones to finish out OSU’s win over Michigan to cap an 11-1 regular season. Jones then led the Buckeyes to a 59-0 win over Wisconsin in the Big Ten Championship Game, in turn helping the team to a spot in the first-ever College Football Playoff.

With both Braxton Miller and Barrett on the sidelines once again, the No. 4 Buckeyes are scheduled to take on No. 1 Alabama in the Sugar Bowl on New Year’s Day in New Orleans. Kickoff is set for 8:30 p.m. in the semifinal matchup.