Home » Sports » Basketball » No. 12 Ohio State men’s basketball team falls to No. 24 North Carolina, 82-74

No. 12 Ohio State men’s basketball team falls to No. 24 North Carolina, 82-74

Sophomore forward Marc Loving (2) passes the ball during a game against Campbell on Nov. 26 at the Schottenstein Center. OSU won, 91-64. Credit: Ed Momot / For The Lantern

Sophomore forward Marc Loving (2) passes the ball during a game against Campbell on Nov. 26 at the Schottenstein Center. OSU won, 91-64.
Credit: Ed Momot / For The Lantern

Playing away from Columbus for just the second time this season, the No. 12 Ohio State men’s basketball team fell on the road again, this time to the No. 24 North Carolina Tar Heels in Chicago, 82-74.

OSU is now 0-2 against ranked teams this season, as it fell to then-No. 5 Louisville, 64-55, on Dec. 2.

Just like in the loss to the Cardinals, the Buckeyes fell down by a lot, only to make a second half comeback that fell short.

Down by as much as 18 with 10:41 left to play in the game, OSU cut the Tar Heel lead to seven with 1:19 left to play, but could not get any closer despite multiple missed free throws by UNC down the stretch.

The Buckeyes (9-2), who played in the first of two games of the CBS Sports Classic, fell behind early at halftime, 43-31, to UNC as the Tar Heels (8-3) shot 51.5 percent from the floor in the first half and outrebounded OSU, 23-15.

OSU was able to stay in the game early with its outside shooting, as the Buckeyes made six three-point field goals, but they couldn’t seem to get anything going inside as they shot just six of 20 from inside the arc in the first half.

The Tar Heels, however, dominated the paint as they scored 34 of their 82 points from inside and outrebounded OSU for the game 53-40.

The second half resulted in more of the same, as the Buckeyes shot just 32.5 percent from the field in the half and made just four of 17 from beyond the arc.

The Buckeyes were led by sophomore forward Marc Loving, who tallied 19 points in the loss.

The Tar Heels were led by junior forward Brice Johnson, who totaled 18 points in the game.

The Buckeyes are set to return to the floor Monday to take on the Miami RedHawks at the Schottenstein Center. Tip is scheduled for 6 p.m.

1. Poor coaching job on Thad Matta & assistants, with all that young good talent you do not how to use them, sorry Amira Williams lack of emotion, Russell shoot too much, the ball should not be in a freshmen hand so much where is the seniors leadship

2. I cannot understand why Motta sticks with one defense throughout a game. No other coach in the country does that. The zone was being torn apart and he never tried man to man. Last year was all man and never a zone. Can’t he coach multi defenses?????