Home » Sports » Football » Ohio State offensive coordinator Tom Herman named head coach at Houston

Ohio State offensive coordinator Tom Herman named head coach at Houston

Ohio State co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Tom Herman Credit: Hayden Grove / Lantern TV Sports director

Ohio State co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Tom Herman
Credit: Hayden Grove / Lantern TV Sports director

Ohio State co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Tom Herman has officially been named the next head coach at Houston, the school announced Tuesday.

Herman is set to be introduced at Houston in a Friday press conference, the school announced in a press release. His contract spans five years and is worth $6.75 million.

The release said Herman will stay with the Buckeyes’ coaching staff until OSU’s run in the College Football Playoff comes to an end.

“This is a tremendous opportunity for my family and I to come back to Houston and lead one of the top programs,” Herman said in the release. “I am looking forward to working with one of the top athletic directors in the country as well as (Houston Chancellor Renu) Khator in a partnership that will make the city of Houston and the great state of Texas proud.”

Under Herman in 2014, the OSU offense finished fourth in the nation with 45.2 points per game. The Buckeyes were also eighth in the country with 507.6 total yards per game.

In each of his three seasons at OSU, a Buckeye quarterback was named the Big Ten’s Griese-Brees Quarterback of the Year.

Current senior quarterback Braxton Miller won the award in 2012 and 2013 — as well as being named the conference’s MVP and Offensive Player of the Year both seasons. After Miller was ruled out for the season after injuring his shoulder during fall camp, Herman coached redshirt-freshman J.T. Barrett to a record-setting season and the Quarterback of the Year honor.

In his only season as the starter, Barrett set the Big Ten and OSU record for total touchdowns in a season with 45 and set school records for passing touchdowns in a season and total yards in a season.

Herman also picked up an accolade of his own this year, as he was named the 2014 Broyles Award winner. The Broyles Award is given annually to the top assistant coach in the nation.

Herman — a California Lutheran University product —  joined the Buckeyes in 2012 along with coach Urban Meyer after holding the same position at Texas State, Rice and Iowa State in previous seasons. He also spent time as an assistant at Sam Houston State and a graduate assistant at Texas.

The Simi Valley, Calif., native is set to replace Tony Levine at Houston after Levine led the Cougars to a 21-17 record over three seasons. Levine was fired on Dec. 8.

Herman’s hiring was initially reported by Fox Sports on Monday.

After coaching Barrett to an 11-1 record as a starter, Herman was also tasked with preparing another quarterback for their first collegiate start after Barrett fractured his ankle in the regular season finale against Michigan.

With a week of preparation, Herman helped redshirt-freshman quarterback Cardale Jones throw for 257 yards and three touchdowns in his first start, leading OSU to a 59-0 win over Wisconsin in the Big Ten Championship Game. The win also helped the Buckeyes secure a spot in the first-ever College Football Playoff.

Herman is set to coach Jones and the Buckeyes against No. 1 Alabama in the Sugar Bowl on New Years Day. Kickoff for the semifinal matchup is set for 8:30 p.m. in New Orleans.

1. No class. He should have stayed at least another year, and given Meyer, the man who hired him, a reasonable time to win a national championship. He is apparently leaving Buckeyes before the playoffs.

Opportunities for a school like Houston, come around every year or two, and if OSU had won a national championship, Herman could have landed a better head coaching job than Houston.

2. It seems we spoke too soon! Whoopsie…

3. I gather now that Herman is staying through the playoffs. Hopefully, he will just as motivated to work hard etc. Good luck Herman.
    Perhaps Meyer will find an even better OC given the improved stature of OSU’s program now.

4. Very sad to see this, but knew it would happen eventually! Coach Herman has done an awesome job at transitioning this team into the spread offense and at the same time has brought out the best in Miller, Barrett, and Jones! He doesn’t pull any punches with the players and his energy and enthusiasm are contagious, on and off the field. I am really going to miss listening to his presentation on the Buckeye offense during the 2015 OSU Women’s Football Clinic-where he taught us lots of offensive strategy and when to tell our husbands, “Honey, shut up and get me a beer!” Thank you, Coach Herman, for making the last three years a GREAT time to be a Buckeye fan! Go Bucks and Best of Luck!

5. Houston may want to have someone review the press releases. The quote from the coach should say, “This is a tremendous opportunity for my family and [ME] to come back to Houston and lead one of the top programs,”.