While Buckeyes around the country are anticipating the outcome of Monday night’s National Championship football game, the rest of the Ohio State athletic department has been busy raking in wins, awards and new prospects. From women’s gymnastics and rowing, to men’s gymnastics, hockey, volleyball and wrestling, winter generally sports started on high notes for Buckeye teams.

Men’s hockey

The new year provided a generally successful start for the men’s hockey team as well. Including a 4-1 loss to Penn State on Saturday, the Buckeyes won or tied three of their first four games in January. OSU brought its record to 7-10-2 with a win against Mercyhurst, 6-3, a tie against Mercyhurst, 2-2 in overtime, and an overtime win over Penn State, 5-4.

Senior forward Matt Johnson was named the Big Ten First Star of the Week on Jan. 6, after scoring four goals over the team’s two games against Mercyhurst, including his first career hat trick. It was the Stillwater, Minn., native’s first career conference weekly award.

Next, the Buckeyes look to avenge a December loss to Michigan at home on Friday at 7 p.m.

Wrestling

The OSU wrestling team picked up a 22-15 win over Penn State on Sunday to bring its record to 5-3.

Redshirt-senior Logan Stieber earned the 2014 Male Athlete of the Year award from the Touchdown Club of Columbus on Jan. 6. A three-time national champion and two-time Big Ten Wrestler of the Week, Stieber’s current winning percentage of .971 makes him No. 1 in school history.

Stieber and the Buckeyes are set to take on Michigan State on Friday at 7 p.m.

Women’s gymnastics

In November, the OSU women’s gymnastic team announced the addition of two 2016 athletes in Casey Carvalho and Jamie Stone. Coach Carey Fagan said in a released statement she is excited about the level of natural talent and excellence the girls will bring to the team.

Meanwhile, the Big Ten Preseason Coaches’ Poll placed the Buckeyes at fourth and named sophomore Tenille Funches and freshman Taylor Harrison “gymnasts to watch.”

OSU kicked off its season by defeating the University of Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh on Friday.

The Buckeyes are set to welcome Michigan and West Virginia for their home opener on Saturday at 4 p.m.

Men’s gymnastics

The fifth-ranked men’s gymnastics team concluded its preseason schedule on Saturday at the annual Alumni Exhibition. The Buckeyes are set to host Illinois in their regular season opener at St. John Arena on Jan. 24 at 4 p.m. after taking part in the Windy City Invitational on Jan. 17.

Men’s volleyball

Despite picking up its first two losses of the season on Thursday and Friday, the OSU men’s volleyball team has a winning 3-2 record. The Buckeyes just returned from Hawaii where they fell to both Hawaii, 3-1, and University of California Irvine, 3-0.

They’re set to play Limestone at 7 p.m. Friday in Columbus.

On Tuesday, the Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association named two Buckeyes Players of the Week. Senior outside hitter Michael Henchy earned Offensive Player of the Week, while sophomore setter Christy Blough took the defensive title.