Home » Sports » Basketball » Ohio State falls to Iowa, 76-67, for 2nd time in 6 games; Russell scores 27

Ohio State falls to Iowa, 76-67, for 2nd time in 6 games; Russell scores 27

The Ohio State men’s basketball team has lost half of its conference games in the past three weeks, including two to the same opponent.

OSU (14-5, 3-3) fell to Iowa (13-5, 4-1), 76-67, on Saturday in Iowa City, less than three weeks since the Buckeyes fell to the Hawkeyes in Columbus to open their Big Ten slate.

Freshman guard D’Angelo Russell tallied 27 points and 14 rebounds in the loss.

Iowa took an 11-point lead at halftime before leading by as many as 17 points in the second half, handing OSU its second loss in the past three games. The Hawkeyes have come out on top three of the past four times the teams have met.

Iowa jumped out to an early 9-0 lead, but the Buckeyes chipped away the lead to make it 13-9 with 13:03 to play in the first half. That proved to be the closest score for the remainder of the half as a late Hawkeye surge made it 37-26 going into the break.

Iowa led throughout the first half as OSU failed to string together more than four consecutive points in the opening 20 minutes. The Buckeyes shot just 33 percent on their way to an 11-point halftime deficit, with only Russell making more than one shot from the field.

Russell finished the half with a game-high 10 points, and freshman forward Jae’Sean Tate was second among all players with eight points before the break, but the rest of the team combined for just eight points.

Eight different Iowa players scored at least two points each in the half.

OSU opened up the second half chipping away at the lead, but Iowa made it a 16 point deficit with 12:48 after going on an 11-2 run that included eight straight points before a Russell 3-pointer made it 51-38.

Just over a minute later, the deficit was 17, but the Buckeyes found some life after the 10 minute mark, making it the gap single digits with just over eight minutes to play.

A 3-pointer from sophomore forward Marc Loving made it 66-59 near the five-minute mark, followed by another long ball from senior guard Shannon Scott after an Iowa layup.

After the Scott jumper, Iowa senior forward Aaron White piled on five straight points to make it 73-61. Russell answered with a three with 1:49 to play.

Tate finished second for OSU with 11 points in the game while Loving tallied 10, but Loving failed to record a rebound, assist, block or steal in the game.

White finished second to Russell with 22 points and added seven rebounds to go along with a 10-of-12 clip from the free-throw line.

OSU is scheduled to stay on the road for one more game before heading back to Columbus for a two-game homestand. The Buckeyes are set to take on Northwestern in Evanston, Ill., at 7 p.m. on Jan. 22.

1. This year’s team lacks heart…lots of morose faces and they don’t out hussle other teams. Maybe they can take some cues from the football team and rally around each other to salvage their season. Can’t see them dancing in march as is.

2. Agree. They play with no emotion. They don’t seem to pull for each other. Their body language is horrible. The coaches have done a poor job as the team has shown zero improvement and during games their is little adjustment defensively. The substitution rotation is mind bogling.

3. Russell May be a great player but he has a lot to learn about sportsmanship…walking off the court without shKing hands.

4. It was reported last week that 3 pillars from Stonehenge were missing. However, yesterday they were found. They were spotted in the center position of the OSU basketball team.

5. What? Honesty among the Schmuckeyes? This is my kind of forum where the Zero Heads are able to fess up to a loser of a team. Now how do we recruit you four to tell the truth about the F-Squad. The National Chumps are going to get their @$$ handed to them in 2015. My prediction is that your Zero Heads are going to lose 4 games next Fall and get blown out in whatever bowl game they play, which will probably be the Toilet Bowl. Looking forward to 11/28/15 when your Schmuckeyes come to the “Big House”. Later Zero Heads!

6. I agree with Kirk Herbstreit. The FB team had me on such a high I need energy to start supporting the BB team!!!! hahaha Hey Kevin (ESPN, buckeye alum) what does CollegeGameDay do until the season restarts??? hahahaha Funny seeing Fall Out Boy (song used doing CFB run) sing another CFB fave “If You Don’t Believe Me Just Watch (Bruno Mars)!” hang in there BB team…we will support you!!!

7. @Trent-Come on can’t you do better??? If you want the Schmuckeyes to lose WISH THEM WELL!!! hahahahaha Even the media learned its lesson keeping them as underdogs!!! hahahahahaha OMG I hope the FB team sat down and watched all the ESPN Megacast in which coaches, and ESPN analysts (my man Mike Wilbon) were soooooooo sure they would get CREAMED!!! I could watch the sad ESPN faces when the Bucks shot the Ducks (hunting)over and over again!!! See you in 2015 Trent……